Roo with shriveled comb, should I worry?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blackfootfarm, Sep 21, 2009.

1. blackfootfarm

blackfootfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2009
    Oregon
    I have a roo that was given to me a couple of months ago. The guy told me that he was fairly young and that his comb would pop out eventually. Well its been 2 months and its still the same. I don't know if I should worry or if this is pretty common. What do you all think?? here is a pic of him:

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    He looks fine to me. The comb will depend on what breed he is, or what breeds he is a mix of, and I don't have the knowledge to help with this.

3. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    Yes I would not be too worried about it. He looks to be some sort of black australorp mix. If so, they have smaller cones.

4. Capone

Capone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Rhode Island
    well hes a great lookin roo

5. Good lookin' boy.

Do not worry about the comb. Really it is better for the winter month anyhow.

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    His comb isn't shriveled - that's just the type of comb that type of rooster is supposed to have. You're probably expecting a large straight comb (like foghorn leghorn), but some breeds have rose combs, pea combs, etc (which can look quite different than what you were expecting).

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

8. blackfootfarm

Jul 11, 2009
    Oregon
    Ohh good I was worried he is a barnvelver-ameracuana mix, is what I was told. He seems very healthy in every other way, and I wanted chicks out of him and my ameracuana hens. Thanks for the compliments, I will pass them on![​IMG][​IMG] I was really expecting his comb to be larger than it is, it just looks squashed to me!

9. blackfootfarm

Jul 11, 2009
    Oregon
    rimshoes, thanks for the sites they did help quite a bit! very informative.
    I don't feel so worried now, because I was thinking, what if this is a bad trait and it is passed on to the chicks......but now I know he fits his name : Hansome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by