Roo won't leave

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ellieroo, Dec 23, 2009.

1. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    What would cause a banty roo to refuse to leave the coop! He was hatched here and became king 4 years ago.The flock free ranges everyday. There are 12 hens that still come out to play but he stays in the coop by himself til girls go up at night and all are locked in. He shows no sign of illness or injury so am puzzled as to why he chooses to stay alone??[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Something outside scared him.

You need to take some time to watch them free range.

3. ellieroo

Mar 22, 2008
    Always keep an eye out since our free range stops at the next town 35 miles away! This guy has been fearless and the girls still race out the door in the am but not "survivor chicken". There are 2 young roos living in the barn and would have thought he would never abandon his hens. Chicken puzzle?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  4. Shelly_WNC

Shelly_WNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Pleasant Shade, TN
    So, what ever happened to your Roo? Did he finally calm down and go out of the coop?

5. ellieroo

Mar 22, 2008
    No but I now know why ... the baby roos ganged together drew a line in the sand and said Old man that part is yours All the rest is Ours!!! So the girls chose who gets their company, fairly funny to watch the roosters pleading their cases!! Most of the time the girls just go where they will and the roos are left crowing to each other. [​IMG]
    All that being said I feel sorry for the old guy he has been great roo so will prpbably close my eyes and find new places for the others! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by