Roo?

RSK8888

Chirping
Jul 14, 2021
Virginia
I'm new to chickens and know only what I have read. Supposedly all hens, but this would be one tough hen! Very "directive" to the others. 14 weeks old- when would start to hear crowing? .... Silent so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1447.JPG
    IMG_1447.JPG
    640.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    743.4 KB · Views: 10
I'm new to chickens and know only what I have read. Supposedly all hens, but this would be one tough hen! Very "directive" to the others. 14 weeks old- when would start to hear crowing? .... Silent so far.
Wrong Forum, but this happens with beginners on this site.

Yep, he's a cockerel. Between 5-6 months of age is the average practice crowing stage.
Some will crow as early as 2-3 weeks of age. Some will start crowing at 4 months of age.

Welcome to the forum from Louisiana, glad you joined. Don't worry about learning your way around the forum, it's not like we all do everything perfect all the time. I'm just glad to see you posting.

Based on the bright red color of the comb and wattles, the size of the wattles, and the pointy hackle feathers that is a boy.

Welcome to the forum from Louisiana, glad you joined. Don't worry about learning your way around the forum, it's not like we all do everything perfect all the time. I'm just glad to see you posting.

Based on the bright red color of the comb and wattles, the size of the wattles, and the pointy hackle feathers that is a boy.
Thank you. I will need to "study up" to make sure future posts are in the right place, but its nice to know people are understanding.
Now I will need to figure out what to do with my boy. My zoning doesn't allow for roosters, but I am tempted to roll the dice and keep him until/unless the neighbors complain. I think he my only rooster out of 17, and I have tons of space. Is there a reason why I might want to proactively rehome home anyway? I'm definitely at the stage of "I don't know what I don't know".

I don't know what the consequences are if you get caught with a rooster. Are you willing to live with those consequences? That's your decision.

Cockerels and pullets going through puberty can be hard for many people to watch. The hormones take over the boy so he can be very aggressive in mating the girls and the girls haven't matured enough to cooperate so it can get violent. If you try to keep him I'd have a plan to isolate him pretty quickly if you see that need. Sometimes it isn't that bad, but often it is. In a situation like that I generally suggest that you base your decisions on what you see instead of what some stranger over the internet like me says will definitely happen. That's because with living animals no one knows for sure what will happen.

I also suggest you keep as few boys as you can and still meet your goals. That's not because you are guaranteed problems with more boys but the more you keep the more likely you are to have problems. I don't know if 0 or 1 is the right answer for you.

I don't know what the consequences are if you get caught with a rooster. Are you willing to live with those consequences? That's your decision.

Cockerels and pullets going through puberty can be hard for many people to watch. The hormones take over the boy so he can be very aggressive in mating the girls and the girls haven't matured enough to cooperate so it can get violent. If you try to keep him I'd have a plan to isolate him pretty quickly if you see that need. Sometimes it isn't that bad, but often it is. In a situation like that I generally suggest that you base your decisions on what you see instead of what some stranger over the internet like me says will definitely happen. That's because with living animals no one knows for sure what will happen.

I also suggest you keep as few boys as you can and still meet your goals. That's not because you are guaranteed problems with more boys but the more you keep the more likely you are to have problems. I don't know if 0 or 1 is the right answer for you.
I would assume they would just tell me to get rid of him and maybe write me a ticket...I will need to look into that. Since I am such a novice, it may best to try to rehome him. I wouldn't want to put him or the hens in a bad situation just because I don't know what to do. I'm note sure how to even go about finding a new home for him....I understand it can be difficult to find people who want roosters.
Thanks for the guidance!

Try advertising on Craigslist, assuming you are where Craigslist exists. Whatever country you are in probably has something similar, an online way to buy or sell with your neighbors.

Talk at the feed store. They might know somebody. They often have a bulletin board and will allow you post an add on that.

Thy to find you state or country thread in the "Where am I? Where are you" section of this forum and chat with your neighbors.

Start a thread in the "rehoming" or "Buy, Sell, Trade" section of this forum, putting your general location in the thread title.

I would assume they would just tell me to get rid of him and maybe write me a ticket...I will need to look into that. Since I am such a novice, it may best to try to rehome him. I wouldn't want to put him or the hens in a bad situation just because I don't know what to do. I'm note sure how to even go about finding a new home for him....I understand it can be difficult to find people who want roosters.
Thanks for the guidance!

This is probably the wise course since you're a beginner and he's not legal.

Even if he goes to someone's freezer you'll know that he's had a good life until it was over and you can consider a planned rooster in the future if you should find that it wouldn't be a problem.

This is probably the wise course since you're a beginner and he's not legal.

Even if he goes to someone's freezer you'll know that he's had a good life until it was over and you can consider a planned rooster in the future if you should find that it wouldn't be a problem.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom