Roo?

dodgewoman

Songster
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
I posted before but didn't have a great shot of this one. I'm leaning towards too but still not quite sure. Can you help me out. What gender?

How old?

Age is critical when sexing birds.

Also, do you know the breed(s)? I would guess Leghorn mixed with something else?

Last edited:
Oh sorry! It was born around June 8th. The hen hatched them and we found them already fluffed out, we didn't know they were hiding under mom for a few days! Yes, it's a backyard special,lol. I have a Delaware rooster also an EE rooster and gold sexlink hens.

Yes, about that old. The EE is the more aggressive rooster so I wouldn't doubt it was the father. The only reason I question is the two that hatched fight like roosters going for dominance would. But that could just be sibling rivalry,lol

I could be wrong, as it is a pretty dark shade of pink int eh face, but from those pics I don't see any hackle or saddle feathers, and I don't see any red in the wings which I think is is common in EE roo's.

Take my effort with a grain of salt though, seems my 'gen-dar' has been off lately.

I may just have to wait on that one and see if it crows or lays,lol. The other one I'm pretty sure is a rooster.

You only have gold sexlink hens? Then the father is the Delaware--unless your EE is also white.

I think it's a cockerel, just based on the suspicion of saddle feathers that I think I see, and he seems to be getting the curving rooster tail. I'm not nearly as sure about this one as I often am, however. Let's say 60% sure it's a boy.

Last edited:
I have a partridge rock and a EE hen but the eggs that were hatched were brown. Nope my EE rooster is the classic colors. So ok the father was the Delaware then b/c yes he's white! Ok, I'm leaning towards that too but I think I'll keep this one until it crows or lays and egg,lol just to be sure. I'd got rid of this ones brother today b/c I was sure he was a boy.

i agree with walkingonsunshine, i would say a good 60% chance of being a male. judging by the length of the shanks and how think they are. the body's framework from the view of the first picture makes me think that this bird has some filling out to do such as weight to gain, tail feathers to curl, and comb to develop - typical signs of a young cockerel. however, i can't tell from a picture, it is best to be up close and personal with them.

Back
Top Bottom