Roof for run

hangin'witthepeeps

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Colbert, GA
I need some advice on putting a tarp over my run for this winter. We do not get heavy snows where I'm at, may be 3 or 4 inches ever couple of years. I currently have a 8 x 16 run. I need advice on what to put up to slant the tarp to shed rain.

Very old picture of when I first built my chicken house and run.
26741_coop2009-07-12.jpg

Inside the run.
26741_coop2009-06-12.jpg

My hubby used those sheets of wavy clear plastic. He screwed them into the frame, and he made one end higher than the other. He used washers so they don't tear.....

Your run looks pretty large......Tarps would be cheaper, but they sag and leak....You might be better off without anything......

Not sure what you have available in your area but in Ohio you can purchase shade netting from a nursery supply company the netting is large enough will allow the water to flow through limiting any sagging but not block out the sun totally.

I found out today what happens when it rains and the tarp has only a slight slant. The water puddles and eventually it makes a hole in the tarp where the water will drip through. My tarp either stretched or it was already a little loose and it started to puddle and push down on the welded wire. So far we haven't had that much rain - I'd be worried about a major rainfall.

I guess either I'll have to add a pole in the middle to try and raise up the tarp or build another sort of structure over the entire thing that is slanted more significantly. I would think I could put a ridge pole of 2x2 or 2x4 in the welded wire areas by cutting the wire or pushing the wood piece through one of the openings. I just don't want to make it less predator proof by poking holes in the wires.

Here's my set up before tarp and after tarp.
97463_coop_coverup_003.jpg
97463_coop_coverup_012.jpg

It has started to pool water on top of the tarp - and the rain isn't stopping for several days - so my temporary solution was to jam a 2x2 up under the tarp down into the sand and wedge it against the welded wire. I'll come up with a better solution later - but that's my temporary ridge pole. LOL!

97463_another_soft_shell_12_7_11_022.jpg

Back
Top Bottom