Roof ideas for my coop?

ccmarie

Songster
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Yuma, Arizona
I'm building a little coop right now, and thought I'd ask for ideas for the roofing. It's about 4x8x6. We live in Yuma AZ, where it gets really hot and not very cold, so I made it open on three sides. It's just chicken wire, but our yard has tall brick walls on almost every side, and a chain link fence with dogs behind it on the last side. We've been using wood of poor quality, since it was free, but between that and my lack of experience I'm thinking the roof shouldn't be very heavy. Hubby has been helping the last couple days, but I made most of it myself. Not bad for a pregnant lady with no experience.

From what I've seen women are just as capable as men at building and such. I don't let anyone get away with that as an excuse. The experience factor is something else.

I'm guessing your coop is 4' wide, 8' long, and 6' high. I'd probably just get a 4x8 sheet of plywood and put that on top. In building it, it would have been nice to build one end up a little higher than the other so it would drain better, but in Yuma that should not be a big problem.

Use decent atttachments so the wind doesn't blow it off. Either decent length screws or ringed nails. Don't use short smooth nails. The men that built the shed here before I bought it made that mistake and I woke up one morning after a storm and the roof was in my front yard.

Thanks. We have a piece of plywood already about the right size, it just seems awful heavy--maybe my husband and I can lift it up there together, but there's no way I can. Do we need to cover it with something so it doesn't rot?

Thanks. We have a piece of plywood already about the right size, it just seems awful heavy--maybe my husband and I can lift it up there together, but there's no way I can. Do we need to cover it with something so it doesn't rot?

I hope you arent lifting heavy things being pregnant and all. Dont want to hurt the little one.

Not too heavy. I did try to lift that roof piece once, but didn't get very far. I'll stick with the power tools and smaller bits.

I used "shingles" cut out of an old asphalt roof, turned out pretty well. Other roofing is the wavy tin or wavy plastic, or actual shingles (asphalt or cedar)

Back
Top Bottom