Roof install?

Thanks all. One of the few construction related projects ive never done is installing a roof so I had no idea what I was doing. And I tend to make things more complicated than they need to be. Instead of laying the purlins over the rafters like in aarts picture I was going to cut crossbeams so they fit flush between the rafters and the sheer amount of measuring and cutting had me wanting to throw in the towel. I figured out that I was being an idiot just prior to reading all these responses. Still, the amount of lumber I need for purlins has me slightly regretting going with such a large build. I picked up another 25 2x4s the other day and said to myself "surely this will be enough to finish" and by my math I'm gonna need another 25.

Lol... This was supposed to be a small little lean-to style coop that would take me maybe a week to complete with a budget of $400. It turned into a 240 square foot barn with a 60 square foot hay loft that I'm 3 weeks worth of 8 hour days into building and has about $1600 spent on it so far.

Lol... This was supposed to be a small little lean-to style coop that would take me maybe a week to complete with a budget of $400. It turned into a 240 square foot barn with a 60 square foot hay loft that I'm 3 weeks worth of 8 hour days into building and has about $1600 spent on it so far.

YEP!

$1,600 sounds awesome! I spent significantly more than that building my own 64 square foot coop and 450 square foot fully enclosed / critter-proof run. I'm jealous.

Last edited:
YEP!

$1,600 sounds awesome! I spent significantly more than that building my own 64 square foot coop and 450 square foot fully enclosed / critter-proof run. I'm jealous.

Yea it's coming out quite nicely, especially considering I started off with no real plan and pulled this design out of my rear. All that's left right now is to do the roof which I'm about to start in a moment and then finish putting up the hardware cloth. The entire back wall is just going to be hardware cloth and the center of the barn is going to serve as a breezeway. Once that's done I have to decide if I want to paint the interior and start working on the trim and run. I'll probably save the trim for last since it's purely aesthetic.

IMG_20200814_133111968_HDR.jpg

Yea it's coming out quite nicely, especially considering I started off with no real plan and pulled this design out of my rear. All that's left right now is to do the roof which I'm about to start in a moment and then finish putting up the hardware cloth. The entire back wall is just going to be hardware cloth and the center of the barn is going to serve as a breezeway. Once that's done I have to decide if I want to paint the interior and start working on the trim and run. I'll probably save the trim for last since it's purely aesthetic.

View attachment 2290164

Very nice!

People are probably getting sick of seeing my spring creation, but that's okay. We still aren't seeing people / going places, and nobody else really wants to see, or hear about: Chickens, chicken coops, chicken eggs, chicken raising, chicken sickness, chicken poop and so on.

My first coop and first flock... Like you, I tore into mine with no plans. I bet I could build the next one in half the time and probably 3/4 the expense. Building during covid didn't help anything. Towards the end I'd find myself at the hardware store buying 2-3x more than I needed of everything in hopes that I wouldn't have to go back. That wasn't really a concern until towards the end of the project, but still... it added up. All good, though. Wound up with some extra stuff, but that's fine.
frame.jpg
frame2.jpg
black2.jpg
water.jpg
water3.jpg
garden5.jpg
finish4.jpg
complete2.jpg
roof.jpg
finish2.jpg

Very nice!

People are probably getting sick of seeing my spring creation, but that's okay. We still aren't seeing people / going places, and nobody else really wants to see, or hear about: Chickens, chicken coops, chicken eggs, chicken raising, chicken sickness, chicken poop and so on.

My first coop and first flock... Like you, I tore into mine with no plans. I bet I could build the next one in half the time and probably 3/4 the expense. Building during covid didn't help anything. Towards the end I'd find myself at the hardware store buying 2-3x more than I needed of everything in hopes that I wouldn't have to go back. That wasn't really a concern until towards the end of the project, but still... it added up. All good, though. Wound up with some extra stuff, but that's fine.
View attachment 2290184View attachment 2290185View attachment 2290186View attachment 2290187View attachment 2290188View attachment 2290220View attachment 2290190View attachment 2290191View attachment 2290192View attachment 2290213
Very nice. I think out of everything so far getting my hardware cloth straight and tight has been the biggest pain. Yours came out very nice.

Some of that extra material made for a nice little kayak rack...

I still need to finish painting the coop, the up hill edge of roof line needs a length of fascia, and the last little bit of roofing material needs fasteners.

One day... one day.

Tomorrow morning I'm off to go work on a little river boat in hopes of doing some alligator hunting next Friday night. After that I hope to finish cutting about a 300 yard lane in a piece of woods for deer season. Sunday we hope to go scalloping!

Who has time for PAINT!!!?

garden8.jpg

Very nice. I think out of everything so far getting my hardware cloth straight and tight has been the biggest pain. Yours came out very nice.

It sucked. Most of my sections (which I quickly learned... do it in SECTIONS) were a little less than 4', and ranged from 7 to almost 8 feet. They weren't consistent due to the freakin' cobweb of irrigation pipe, drain pipe, cable, power, gas, etc. I've never seen anything like it. I'm sure half of it was abandoned, but who care.

Anyway, I think I counted mine and the total number of pieces that I cut was like 58, or something. Every last scrap of three 4 x 100' rolls that I ordered online, and then a couple smaller rolls bought locally. A lot of cutting, and a lot of scraped up hands and arms. I also did the bulk of it solo, which was a lot of fun.

Trust me when I say, the HW cloth ain't perfect. The pieces up top were especially difficult. I also installed them when it was cool out. Once they got hot they really developed some sag.

So... if you can let yours sit in the sun and have it installed while warm out, that would probably be a good thing. It may still contract come winter and the sag, but at least you'll get a good couple months out of it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom