Roof Rats. I can’t remove the food (citrus)

I don't think that that is what the article is getting at, It says to stop "feeding" them, meaning you need to stop giving them a free meal, of open chicken feed. They have to work quite a bit harder, to get up in a tree to eat, and will be discouraged and may leave, if they are driven out with all of the other additions mentioned in the article. Anyway, I get your point, it is funny to think about. 😊
They are fruit rats. They don't eat the chicken feed. I had fruit rats too but I also had orange trees. The rats didn't get into the chicken feed. I just didn't want them around. I did use poison but I also used the rat bait boxes that only the rats could get into and I put them in places where nothing but the rats can get to them, including my birds. The rats will travel some and are good climbers. I put the boxes in my barn. I have a shelf next to the studs so the rat can climb up the stud to get into the rat bait boxes. Nothing else climbs them except the rats and they are high enough nothing else can get to them. My barn is made of metal and they can't climb up the metal but can on the wood studs to get to the bait boxes. I have never found a dead rat but I'm sure they go down into tunnels they make and die. I haven't found any dead ones laying around or other dead critters. While second hand poisoning is possible it is not that usual. Some poisons require the rat to eat several meals and therefore slow acting and these usually will not kill a critter that eats them. Again nothing is impossible but unusual. Possums are naturally resistant to all poisons except neuro-toxins. They have a peptide in their blood that’s capable of countering the poison without causing any damage. Rat poison does not have any neuro-toxins in them and it is not going to do any harm to the possums. If there were any dead rats they may have eaten them before saw any. Before I had my bait boxes I hid some bait in places I was sure nothing could get at them. When I went out daily to check the baits they would be gone so I put a camera up to find out what was taking the baits. It was a possum. Now the possums can't get to them and I haven't seen any more in the barn. I never actually saw the possum get the bait but have caught it with the bait. It kept coming back for more. I haven't had any more issues with the rats. I do keep my bait boxes baited but nothing has touched the baits in quite awhile and I haven't seen any evidence of rats. Before I had actually seen some rats in my nest boxes but they didn't appear interested in the eggs either.

i dunno, ive had really good luck with glue traps, the trick is just getting them in the right place where theyre running .. stops them dead instantly from 90mph lol ... i just about completely eliminated the problem i had and they were were getting in the shed where i keep the food and a seemingly endless supply was coming from an old delapidated building the neighbors i think keep their garbage in right on the other side of my fence... but yeah, 50 pack of i think 5X10 glue traps on amazon .. i threw a couple three down in the shed and just about every day i got 2 or 3 for ahwile until now i rarely see any evidence of one .. thinned um right out lol ..
Other animals get stuck in the glue traps also.

They are fruit rats. They don't eat the chicken feed. I had fruit rats too but I also had orange trees. The rats didn't get into the chicken feed. I just didn't want them around. I did use poison but I also used the rat bait boxes that only the rats could get into and I put them in places where nothing but the rats can get to them, including my birds. The rats will travel some and are good climbers. I put the boxes in my barn. I have a shelf next to the studs so the rat can climb up the stud to get into the rat bait boxes. Nothing else climbs them except the rats and they are high enough nothing else can get to them. My barn is made of metal and they can't climb up the metal but can on the wood studs to get to the bait boxes. I have never found a dead rat but I'm sure they go down into tunnels they make and die. I haven't found any dead ones laying around or other dead critters. While second hand poisoning is possible it is not that usual. Some poisons require the rat to eat several meals and therefore slow acting and these usually will not kill a critter that eats them. Again nothing is impossible but unusual. Possums are naturally resistant to all poisons except neuro-toxins. They have a peptide in their blood that’s capable of countering the poison without causing any damage. Rat poison does not have any neuro-toxins in them and it is not going to do any harm to the possums. If there were any dead rats they may have eaten them before saw any. Before I had my bait boxes I hid some bait in places I was sure nothing could get at them. When I went out daily to check the baits they would be gone so I put a camera up to find out what was taking the baits. It was a possum. Now the possums can't get to them and I haven't seen any more in the barn. I never actually saw the possum get the bait but have caught it with the bait. It kept coming back for more. I haven't had any more issues with the rats. I do keep my bait boxes baited but nothing has touched the baits in quite awhile and I haven't seen any evidence of rats. Before I had actually seen some rats in my nest boxes but they didn't appear interested in the eggs either.
I completely agree, Cmom. I tried everything...there is NO food in my coop but my next door neighbor has 2 grain silos. The rats were living under my garage, digging out the dirt and rocks which eventually could cause damage. They were also mating.
You put the poison where only the rats can get it. Anything else is giving the rats time to make more babies...poison is the only thing that gets rid of them. I actually shoved a stick of poison into their hole and covered it back up. I also cut a hole in a big box and put a stick of poison in the middle and made sure nothing could get inside the box, and sure enough a rat had gotten in there and nibbled on it.
Did I like doing the poison...NO...but I had tried everything else.

I feel the same way. As I have already said. I don't like using it either but I hate the rats too. I'm not going to spend a fortune on something to keep the rats out of the feed. I want to eliminate them. You may get rid of the rats for awhile but eventually more will try to move in.

I did use poison but I also used the rat bait boxes that only the rats could get into and I put them in places where nothing but the rats can get to them, including my birds.
That's my suggestion. Or just put the poison blocks strategically where rats can go but none of your other critters. I have dogs, cats and fowl so I just put the block between a heavy storage box and the wall of the coop.

I saw one rat in my coop last night and we are out of poison, so I currently have a small live trap out with peanut butter, mostly because I find it hilarious.

That's my suggestion. Or just put the poison blocks strategically where rats can go but none of your other critters. I have dogs, cats and fowl so I just put the block between a heavy storage box and the wall of the coop.
I used to put the bait inside a cardboard box, then put that box inside a huge locked dog carrier so that if the mouse/rat spread the bait it would still be contained within that dog crate.
There are ways to do it safely.

Excellent idea. Put a rat bait box in the carrier/cage and nothing but the rats can get to it. I actually make cages so I have put it in a cage which is similar to this.

Attachments

• PetCarrier.jpg
    PetCarrier.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom