Roofing help...

TracyLK

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
We live in New Jersey and wanted a safe, dry, and winter enjoyable covered run for our chickens. This is our first time having chickens, as well as, building a coop and run; and to say the least it was a learning experience. We purchased corrugated roofing at our local Home Depot and let me tell you it is the thinnest, flimsiest, cheapest-quality-yet-so-overpriced thing!!!! Any ideas for something sturdier that will hold snow and help water run that isn't ridiculously priced and where I could get it! Thanks!!

wht i got is tin its cheap and long lasting, it cost about 80 cent a sheet but the thick tin is about 5 dallors and u can get it at a hard ware store

Do you know the dimensions it comes in? Our run 8 feet wide and 24 feet long. Is it tin roofing I would be looking for?

you could also put plywood under the tin. the heavier stuff cost a bunch more over here in salem county. Like $18 or $20 bucks for a 3x8ft sheet

so that means you would need 8 sheets. if you want an over hang you need to get 3x10ft sheets which is like $22 or $24 a sheet

Last edited:
I went tin because I got it free. Well not exactly free, I payed $7800 for a new metal roof on the house. So I got the old metal for other projects. The coop was one.
As to the press wood underlay, that's a debatable idea. Some like the "support", others like air flowing under the metal. But if you go with the press wood and want to use roofing paper, the nails used on the paper are going to give you a hard time lining them up to fit under each corrugation. If you don't the nails will press through the flat part of the roofing. But then on a chicken coop that may not matter to some. Up to you.

For our first coop we used the leftover "cover sheets" for the metal our pole barn is made from. When the metal is shipped they cover the good sheets with scratched or odd shape or color pieces to protect them. The builder was just going to scrap these cover sheets so we saved them. Maybe you could post on Freecycle or Craig's list looking for some of these cover sheets. You could also contact a pole barn builder to ask if they have some of these sheets they would sell cheap or give away.

Back
Top Bottom