Roofing?

Exactly! More ventilation is always better! And you can make a simple hatch cover with a piece of wood for wintertime, if needed. We're going to add hinged storm doors to our screen windows and a proper entry door.

Then we get to start a whole new coop because I came home with four chicks a month ago :lau

For now babies will move to the old coop which is actually perfect because it's in an enclosed garden so they can learn to chicken before going free range with the big kids.

Haha, that’s why I’m trying to get this coop done again! I’m getting chicks on June 3rd and I need the room. I doubt I’d have to cover it in the winter, it rarely gets below 20. But I will have to really extend the roof because it feels like it’s constantly raining

Does your wind typically come from the same direction? Ours is almost always North or South but very rarely easterly so we faced the front East facing, if that makes sense. Then that minimizes rain blow in.

You can either go with a lean-to style roof or a gable roof. Lean-to will be easier.
Whichever way you want the roof to pitch, build a little knee wall on the high side and nail it to your wall top plate. I'd use 24" on center 2x4s. Then install your rafters. Again, for a structure that small, 2x4's should be fine.
You can bird's mouth notch the rafters to fit over your knee wall or just toenail them into place and back that up with some rafter ties.
Make sure that you have a minimum of a 12/2 pitch for shingles. It's code and your roof will fail prematurely if you don't have proper pitch. I would go with 12/4. The underlayment for shingles is not optional. It is required. You can use 15# or 20# tar paper or synthetic underlayment. Doesn't matter. You should also install drip edge to protect the edges of your roof deck. Here is a schematic on basic roof construction:
View attachment 1787801

You don't need the waterproof membrane in your stack up.
The roof deck goes on over the rafters, then the lower side drip edge goes on.
Then the underlayment.
Then the rake drip edge (sides).
The first course of shingles is installed upside down with about 1/2 to 3/4" of the shingle hanging out past the edge of the drip edge.
Then start shingling. Just follow the instructions on the package if you have never shingled before.
I would extend the rafters about a foot out on the front and back to get good overhang to protect the coop from water blowing in through the windows.

This is just what I needed, thank you!!!:bow

Does your wind typically come from the same direction? Ours is almost always North or South but very rarely easterly so we faced the front East facing, if that makes sense. Then that minimizes rain blow in.
Yes. It comes from the NW the most but the way my yard(I live in a heavily populated neighborhood) is set up I have to keep it facing north so that It’s hidden from the street. Chickens are against my HOA’s rules:oops:

So this is what my plans are. Right now I have. 5’x7’ open air coop with premier 1 fencing as a run. What I will be starting next week is using lattice and hw cloth to fence in a run where the red line is. The blue line is a brick wall. My current(bigger) coop will be put where the green mess is and the small one(one pictured) will be where the yellow mess is. Hopefully this will keep them out of view.

Attachments

• 7D1E42EC-D772-47E4-B13D-C7BCB34E65C6.jpeg
    7D1E42EC-D772-47E4-B13D-C7BCB34E65C6.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 6
This is just what I needed, thank you!!!:bow
When you atta
So this is what my plans are. Right now I have. 5’x7’ open air coop with premier 1 fencing as a run. What I will be starting next week is using lattice and hw cloth to fence in a run where the red line is. The blue line is a brick wall. My current(bigger) coop will be put where the green mess is and the small one(one pictured) will be where the yellow mess is. Hopefully this will keep them out of view.
How are you going to keep the neighbors from hearing them?

Back
Top Bottom