Rookie-erest

Boomchickaboomboomboom

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Greetings from Robertsville, MO

I would like to call myself a rookie at keeping chickens, but added the 'erest' to magnify the fact that I am beyond ignorant. You can read books about raising chickens all day long, but that is a sad substitute for actually having them. I trust God that I have not bitten off more than I can chew by getting 20 chicks to start with. I am thankful to God for leading me to a forum where there is so much help available.

I will try to make use of information already posted, but if I freak out, like I did this morning, please bear with me. My 'freak out' was due to the fact that I have been giving my chicks katydids because they are so abundant right now. I did not know that the chick feed does not contain any grit, and ran around like a chicken with my head cut off, crying, 'the sky is falling!' (yes, sadly, these are some of the boring puns, and cliche sayings which will come off the tips of my fingers.) Anyway, I immediately broke open a bag of play sand, and gave them some, and then proceeded to freak out that I could have possibly given them too much. That is how I found this forum, and still I'm not sure if what I've done is 'bad'.

There's my introduction. Yes, I am clueless in MO. Thank you in advance for your patience.

welcome-byc.gif
from Pennsylvania!

I give my five chicks (they're 4 weeks old) play sand for grit. I just give them a scoop (about 1 to 2 cups) in a shallow dish and they seem to know how much they need. At first they all went over and goobled it up, but it didn't hurt them any. Now the newness of it has worn off and they only take a little at a time.

There is a wealth of information on here all you have to do is ask or do a search.
smile.png

Good luck with your new fuzzy butts!

Back
Top Bottom