1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rookie-erest

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Boomchickaboomboomboom, May 25, 2011.

1. Boomchickaboomboomboom

Boomchickaboomboomboom Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Greetings from Robertsville, MO

I would like to call myself a rookie at keeping chickens, but added the 'erest' to magnify the fact that I am beyond ignorant. You can read books about raising chickens all day long, but that is a sad substitute for actually having them. I trust God that I have not bitten off more than I can chew by getting 20 chicks to start with. I am thankful to God for leading me to a forum where there is so much help available.

I will try to make use of information already posted, but if I freak out, like I did this morning, please bear with me. My 'freak out' was due to the fact that I have been giving my chicks katydids because they are so abundant right now. I did not know that the chick feed does not contain any grit, and ran around like a chicken with my head cut off, crying, 'the sky is falling!' (yes, sadly, these are some of the boring puns, and cliche sayings which will come off the tips of my fingers.) Anyway, I immediately broke open a bag of play sand, and gave them some, and then proceeded to freak out that I could have possibly given them too much. That is how I found this forum, and still I'm not sure if what I've done is 'bad'.

There's my introduction. Yes, I am clueless in MO. Thank you in advance for your patience.

2. jcf3202

jcf3202 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Pennsylvania!

I give my five chicks (they're 4 weeks old) play sand for grit. I just give them a scoop (about 1 to 2 cups) in a shallow dish and they seem to know how much they need. At first they all went over and goobled it up, but it didn't hurt them any. Now the newness of it has worn off and they only take a little at a time.

There is a wealth of information on here all you have to do is ask or do a search. [​IMG]

Good luck with your new fuzzy butts!

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    Don't worry so much, you'll do fine--after all, you found BYC!

4. wychickenwrangler

wychickenwrangler Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Northeast Wyoming
    WELCOME from Wyoming!!!!!!!!!! Have no fear, with all of the help you will find here on BYC, you will do just fine!!!!!!!!! Good luck!!

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana!!! [​IMG]

6. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] BYC contains all the answers!

7. Boomchickaboomboomboom

Boomchickaboomboomboom Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Thanks ya'll. I need all the help I can get.

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. You are in the right place. [​IMG]

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by