Rookie Here!

TonyC2639

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 23, 2010
Monroe, Va
My wife and I live in Virginia and we are considering the prospect of raising a few chickens. We are animal lovers through and through so my only fear is that my wife will bring them inside when it get's cold! We live on 30 acres so space will not be a problem. Several of our friends have small flocks so we'll have plenty of support. One of them is a veterinarian...bonus! My guess is I'll have until spring to get a coop built as soon as I decide on the design. Building it will be a big part of the fun for me. The BYC site has been a huge help in my research...and a big motivator too!!

welcome-byc.gif
from Texas!

Welcome. I live in Alaska and my chickens will be outdoors all winter long. Build your coop to handle the winter months and you won't end up with any chickens in your bed!

I live in Virginia as well, and really with 30 acres if you want to just build a house in a field where u keep them locked up for a few days with water and feed daily and then let them wonder they won't leave the area but so far and will go to the house every night

at least it works with standard size egg layers

Thank you all so much for the kind welcome! I think this is going to be an interesting adventure.

SG_Chicken - Good luck with your new chicks!! Please keep me posted on your experiences. I'm sure they will be a big help.

Alaskachick - I fear that anything short of a heat pump....well let's just say you don't know my wife! But I'm keeping your name as a reference...if I can convince her they can survive in Alaska, I might have a shot!

HappychickenLover - I have been considering that option. First, I have two dogs and a cat that would have to cooperate and not go after them. Also, although most critters are nocturnal we do have stray dogs that pass through occasionally. I know how my wife and I are about animals...these chickens will be full fledged pets so their safety will be of utmost importance. I do hope one day that they can free range at least for part of the day.

Again, thanks to all for chiming in. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. I am working on coop plans now....

As more reffernce I have two dogs who free range with my chickens that I have tought what they can and can't do with the chickens and i have a fence around my property but have half acre to roam.

Biggest thing is chicken hawks!

I have been told many times that Shamo Roosters are perfect for the chicken hawk and smaller predators. They stand straight up and will attack threats as well as defend their birds

Last edited:
HappyChicken....our dogs are pretty well behaved and I think would be okay. Stray dogs are another matter, of course. I hadn't even thought about hawks! We sure have those here. They always try to swoop at our bird feeders and catch the little birds for a snack. Wow...that might do away with free ranging all together. Hmmm. If you don't mind me asking, what county or what part of the state are you in?

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

I got the dogs for the coons, but really theres usually a animal for counter balancing, it might come down to having to keep them in a completely wired pen

i keep my bantams in enclosed cages only the big layers are free ranging

Back
Top Bottom