Rookie Mistake

tmorgan46

Songster
Sep 22, 2015
Stafford, VA
I should have seen this one coming... (wish I had a nickel everytime I've ever said that)
Invited a co-worker and his young son to stop over and feed the geese and ducks some mealworms. The little tyke was scared initially by all the honking and rukus both of the geese, one gandera and one goose both are less than six months old, were making. The little boy, almost 3 years old, finally worked up the courage to come on my side of the poultry fence and feed the geese and muscovy ducks. Things were going quite well until my buddy and I started talking and not paying enough attention. Out of the clear blue, the gander reached over and pecked his son on the neck. Scared all of us more than it hurt, didn't draw any blood but it did leave a little welt. Dad whisked his son up and I chased off Papa Goose. All's well that ends well. Note to self, grandkids haven't made it stateside yet to visit, must keep sharp eye on anyone who isn't taller than that gander and can look him eye to eye!!!

I'll take my lashing now please ;-)

Troy & Tina

Primary Directive: Children not raised around poultry of any kind should not be allowed around poultry of any kind until they are young adults (JMHO). The children that is.

Children tend to want to hold and touch and sometimes grab and choke animals. Often not intentional but none the less serious harm can come to the bird and the child can be traumatized for life in their relationships with birds.

Many people are frightened of geese particularly because of some event that occurred in their childhood.

Rule Number Two - Never feed a goose by hand. Just toss the food to them and let them pick what they want. Geese do not have the intellect to know where the food stops and the hand starts. This is a very important lesson to teach children.

Observation - In all instances the goose is innocent.

Hope you enjoy your geese.

Last edited:
I think kids bring it out in them sometimes. My old gander bit by dad on the butt once while he was holding my little girl. He had been out by the pond before but I guess the gander saw his chance.

@jtn42248 - "Primary Directive" that's funny and sounds something that the Spousal Unit would say :)
All points are very well made and taken in the spirit they are offered. I completely agree with all of them and realize in hindsight the point made on children. I've been around all of them since they were ducklings / goslings and have never had an ounce of trouble and honestly didn't connect the dots like I should have. And I couldn't agree with you more about who's at fault here. I never blamed the goose, he was doing what came natural to him.
@Speilb - I think you're absolutely right!

Troy & Tina

I should have seen this one coming... (wish I had a nickel everytime I've ever said that)
Invited a co-worker and his young son to stop over and feed the geese and ducks some mealworms. The little tyke was scared initially by all the honking and rukus both of the geese, one gandera and one goose both are less than six months old, were making. The little boy, almost 3 years old, finally worked up the courage to come on my side of the poultry fence and feed the geese and muscovy ducks. Things were going quite well until my buddy and I started talking and not paying enough attention. Out of the clear blue, the gander reached over and pecked his son on the neck. Scared all of us more than it hurt, didn't draw any blood but it did leave a little welt. Dad whisked his son up and I chased off Papa Goose. All's well that ends well. Note to self, grandkids haven't made it stateside yet to visit, must keep sharp eye on anyone who isn't taller than that gander and can look him eye to eye!!!

I'll take my lashing now please ;-)

Troy & Tina
We learn from our mistakes thank goodness the gander didn't nip the child in the face. I won't lash you . My very own gander took advantage of me not paying attention and did get me in the face the upper lip to be exact. look like I had walked into a wall for several weeks afterward

I'll put my opinion out there I suppose, and try not to be harsh or anything! ;)

I agree, young children should NEVER be within reach of geese, especially ganders. That actually boils my blood a bit because either the child or the goose could seriously injure one another.

It is YOUR job as the owner to protect these birds from physical harm and from reputation being ruined. It only takes one incident with the wrong person to ruin it for everyone, wether that be the goose getting hurt, the person getting hurt, or having these wonderful wonderful birds banned from an area.

Just as it is your job to protect the geese, it is also your job to be responsible with who you bring around them. I have kids at my house all the time because my mother teaches babies how to swim, they are NEVER allowed out back, especially by themselves. You just cannot predict what will happen!!!

Lesson learned, I suppose!! No harm no "fowl"!!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom