rookie questions

ak2ga

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 28, 2014
statesboro georgia
I'm a first time backyard chicken and I got for baby chicks they didn't give me any bedding for them or tell me I needed any do I?....and what are some other common mistakes that first time owners make I want to make sure do this right I've done a lot of research but still feel like I don't know anything or what I'm doing I'm being A worry wart I think.

henless: I had to go back and look at your pic's again when I read there are 15 chicks hiding in there!
big_smile.png
Love your setup by the way, very nice! I'm going to try one of those heat plates next time I have chicks.

They just love the heating plate! Here's a pic of them all under it. I took it at the same time, just had to lift it up to see them.

Now when I go check on them, they come running out from under the heat plate. They eat, drink and dash around, then head back under when it's warm up time again.

I love it so far. I was leary of using the heat lamp. I'm so glad I bought this one.

Mine is a Premier Heat Plate, the small size. I got it here: http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=120893&cat_id=165 I just checked the site and looks like they are on back order until April 1.

There is also a Brinsea Ecoglow Heat Plate: http://www.brinsea.com/prod-EcoGlow_Chick_Brooder-239.aspx
The Brinsea can also be purchased on Amazon.

I wanted the large heat plate, but it was out of stock when I ordered mine. On the web site, it says the small is for up to 20 chicks, but when I got mine, the box said 20-25 chicks. I now have 21 chicks under my heat plate, and there is still plenty of room for all of them to get under. I'm sure as they get bigger, there won't be quite as much room, but then they won't need as much heat either. They sure are feathering out fast. Even my new babies are already getting feathers.

Yes they will need bedding it can hurt their legs to be slipping around on smooth surfaces. Put in wood chip bedding and cover it with newspaper until the chicks are in there for a day or so, so they don't mistake the wood for food and eat a bunch of it. On e they know what the food is you can remove the paper. They also need heat.

I use old towels for bedding. Even old clothes and rags would be better than the metal floor. They will eat wood chips and should not be on them until 2 or 3 weeks old. And never use cedar chips as they are toxic to chicks.
They need chick starter, Water and 95 degree temperature. If you have a cat or dog around the chicks will need more protection than just the tub.
They are pretty chicks!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I use old towels for bedding.  Even old clothes and rags would be better than the metal floor. They will eat wood chips and should not be on them until 2 or 3 weeks old. And never use cedar chips as they are toxic to chicks.
They need chick starter, Water and 95 degree temperature. If you have a cat or dog around the chicks will need more protection than just the tub.
They are pretty chicks!  :D  

McMurray hatchery recommends wood shavings, rice hulls, or ground corn cobs as litter, covered with newspaper for the first day as by then they will know where the food is. Cedar chips and small sawdust is not recommended as they could eat it. This info is listed under chick care section of the faq section of McMurray's website. I brooded my 30 chicks last spring in this way and didn't have problems with them eating wood bedding

They will quickly outgrow that tub as well they do need a little space to run around in and to get away from each other one they start figuring our their pecking order. Once they are a few weeks old they'll start flying at each other and fighting to establish their dominance in the flock this is normal but they can injure each other if they are cramped

Last edited:
If your close to a large grocery store, check and see if they have any large produce boxes. They make great temp brooders and are FREE!

I got this one from Wal-Mart. I kinda wish now I had gotten 2 and put them together. But I hope to have my outdoor brooder finished by the time they get to big for this one.

This is inside. Can you believe I have 15 chicks in there? They are hiding under my Premier warming plate. I just love it!

I have large flake shavings in my brooder. Since my chicks range in age from 4 to 11 days, they had already been introduced to feed and new what it was. So I didn't have to put any paper towels down over my shavings.

Back
Top Bottom