rookie questions

I agree with shavings being easier to keep clean. They absorb and dry out the chicks waste much faster that towels etc. Poop also gets buried pretty fast so they don't end up with poop all over their feet. I have raised chicks for years, they go on pine shavings from day one. I put their feeder on a large flat piece of wood so they can easily pick up spilled feed. Never had any issues with shavings at all.

ak2ga: Do you have a heat lamp for your chicks?

henless: I had to go back and look at your pic's again when I read there are 15 chicks hiding in there!
big_smile.png
Love your setup by the way, very nice! I'm going to try one of those heat plates next time I have chicks.

henless: I had to go back and look at your pic's again when I read there are 15 chicks hiding in there!
big_smile.png
Love your setup by the way, very nice! I'm going to try one of those heat plates next time I have chicks.

They just love the heating plate! Here's a pic of them all under it. I took it at the same time, just had to lift it up to see them.

Now when I go check on them, they come running out from under the heat plate. They eat, drink and dash around, then head back under when it's warm up time again.

I love it so far. I was leary of using the heat lamp. I'm so glad I bought this one.

I have never seen the heat plate and like that idea much better then the light? Where did you get it?

Mine is a Premier Heat Plate, the small size. I got it here: http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=120893&cat_id=165 I just checked the site and looks like they are on back order until April 1.

There is also a Brinsea Ecoglow Heat Plate: http://www.brinsea.com/prod-EcoGlow_Chick_Brooder-239.aspx
The Brinsea can also be purchased on Amazon.

I wanted the large heat plate, but it was out of stock when I ordered mine. On the web site, it says the small is for up to 20 chicks, but when I got mine, the box said 20-25 chicks. I now have 21 chicks under my heat plate, and there is still plenty of room for all of them to get under. I'm sure as they get bigger, there won't be quite as much room, but then they won't need as much heat either. They sure are feathering out fast. Even my new babies are already getting feathers.

Back
Top Bottom