Rookie with chickens...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jcasey829, May 1, 2008.

1. jcasey829

jcasey829 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    We just moved to a farm that has a chicken coop in the barn. The barn is over 100 years old, so I assume the coop is 'old school'. By 'old school' I mean it may not be the most modern chicken friendly coop. The more I read on here, the more I think keeping my chickens in an indoor only coop isn't right. So what do I do? Do I let them run the farm all day and bring them in at night? If I do that, will I be able to catch them? lol I'm still too nervous to put them outside yet. I have them in the house, I've just fallen in love with them and am terrified something is going to happen to them. [​IMG] I do try to take them outside every day and let them run around the yard with my supervision. [​IMG] I have goats, and my goats know not to go too far. If they hear something that scares them, they head back to the barn... will chickens do that? I guess can anyone give me insight on what would be best and safest for my chickens. The barn does have huge doors that I open every day so they would still get sunlight and fresh air if they stayed in the coop. Thanks in advance for your advice on what is best for my chickens. [​IMG] PS we also have HUGE turkey vultures that have decided to take up residence on our property-another reason putting them out scares me.

2. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    okay what you should do is you can keep them in the coop at night and let them out in the morning to get them prepared to go to the coop at night first leave them in the coop for a week or to so they become home bond to it and then you can start letting them out they will go back to the coop or hide under something if a preditor like a hawk comes good luck

3. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    The best would be a secure coop with a secure run where they can stay while they are not supervised. And then if you fear for them being out on their own, you can only let them run free range when you are there watching. The vultures shouldn't be a problem, it is the coons, coyotes, fox, owls, hawks, etc. that you have to watch for...

4. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Can you make a pop hole from the coop to the outside into an enclosed run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by