Rookie!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mylittleladies, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Mylittleladies

Mylittleladies New Egg

Aug 27, 2011
    Hello out there...this rookie needs some help! I just got my coop and my 5 ladies about a week ago (They're adopted!) Anyway, we have a tractor type coop 6 x 6 and about a 12 x 6 run for the girls....the move was tramatic, but as I've read if you have happy chickens they will produce! It took a couple of days of no eggs, then one egg....now I'm getting 5 for 5! Yeah! I have pine shaving bedding in their coop and under their perches, they have four nesting boxes 3 of which they poop in... and 1 where they actually lay eggs! It's the run I am beginning to wonder about, its taken them some time, but I can see that very soon there will be just dirt under their sweet little feet. I'm a clean freak and don't want friends that come visit to be put off by a poopy smelling coop or run. I clean the coop and change the bedding two times a week, but what can I do to keep the dirt from getting stinky? Any good advise would be gratly appreciated!.....I will have photos to post soon! Thanks in advance.....

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    [​IMG]

If you have a stinky run, you will have to keep it drier.

If you've got a dirt run, get a metal rake and rake the poop into the dirt to help keep it dry.

I have a lot of acreage that gets mowed, so I'm always dumping a lot of grass clippings inside my run.

I let my chickens out to free range during the day, but before I get up in the morning (8AM), they're all stuck inside the run.

[​IMG]

3. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]
    My experience is that the run only smells when it rains and then it pongs! Take a rake now and then, rake up everything, or sweep it up with a yard broom, and dump it on your compost heap.

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

[​IMG] from California!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Great advice. [​IMG]

9. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Ummmmm . . . if it's a tractor with five chickens in it, move it every day or two. The moving is the difference between a tractor and a coop. Or am I missing something?

10. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    I put a bale of hay in my run and spread it around and left the remaining "lump" for lack of a better word, and the chickens kick it around and scratch etc. It dries out quickly and they like playing on it and picking at it. This is a large, round bale so I don't have to do it but once a year. I fork it into the coop as well so it's handy when using the deep liter method.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by