Room temperature for brooder

Sylvia0223

Songster
Sep 8, 2021
Hey, so my chicks are at 2 weeks old and the brooder is set up in my house by the window. They have a heating plate in the brooder, brooder is actually a coop with windows on all 3 sides with wire mesh so they do have a good air circulation. We keep it 77 at the house. My question is if I open a window at night about an inch crack and it’s 68 outside, will it be too cold for baby chicks in the brooder that is next to the window ? Or it doesn’t matter since they have a heating plate inside the coop the coop area will remain at that temperature? I just want to get some fresh air in the house at night.

As long as there's not a cold, direct draft blowing on them, they'll be fine. At those temperatures, a light draft wouldn't be the end of the world. I brood mine in the garage, and it gets very cold for the winter/early spring broods. I always use a heat plate and they've always been happy and healthy.

I have a question of heat also, my lamp went out and I have no other bulb. I took them inside where currently it is at 75° 3week old chicks?

5 chicks, I have the heat on 75°f should be about that all night, they'll stay in until I get another lamp

Back
Top Bottom