Room temperature for week old chicks

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
Hi everyone. My chicks are in the mud room attached to my garage right now. At night, it has been a low of around 55-60 outside, and the room itself is usually around 70-75 at night. The windows are open wide during the day and I close them but leave about 4 inches cracked at the top for airflow at night. My chicks have a heat plate. When I go to bed around 11, it is usual about 60 outside and 70ish in the room. A few are under the plate fully, but some have their heads out and 1 or 2 will sleep completely outside of it at that point.
Question 1- Is that too cold or hot?
Question 2- Anything you would change about this?
Question 3- It is supposed to be a low of 48 on Sat night. Should I shut the windows completely or still leave them cracked? I always check temps at 11 pm before going to bed and adjust windows as I think necessary. I could also shut the windows and leave the door to the garage open (it is fully attached to my house).
The chicks will be moving outside to their coop at 4 weeks or whenever they are fully feathered. 😊

They should be fine with what you are doing they have heat plate. It wouldn't hurt to shut windows for the cold night if your worried about it but they should be fine with heat plate. Chicks can be in cold weather as long as they have someplace to get warm as needed they know when needed.

They should be fine with what you are doing they have heat plate. It wouldn't hurt to shut windows for the cold night if your worried about it but they should be fine with heat plate. Chicks can be in cold weather as long as they have someplace to get warm as needed they know when needed.
Ok. Thank you very much for your help!

My brooder is in the coop. I put chicks from the incubator or post office in that brooder even when the outside temperature is below freezing. I keep one end of that brooder toasty warm with a heat lamp. Sometimes the far end of that brooder has ice in it. That doesn't matter, the end they are in is plenty warm. All that matters is that they have a place to go to that is warm enough. With your heat plate they have a place top go to that is warm enough.

A few are under the plate fully, but some have their heads out and 1 or 2 will sleep completely outside of it at that point.
They are clearly telling you that they are fine. I would not change a thing. Keep doing exactly what you are doing, even if the outside temperature drops. If they need it they know where that heat plate is.

Have you ever been in a crowded room where some people are too warm, some too cool, and some just right? Chicks are the same, some like it warmer or cooler than others. Let them choose where they want to be. You are doing great.

My brooder is in the coop. I put chicks from the incubator or post office in that brooder even when the outside temperature is below freezing. I keep one end of that brooder toasty warm with a heat lamp. Sometimes the far end of that brooder has ice in it. That doesn't matter, the end they are in is plenty warm. All that matters is that they have a place to go to that is warm enough. With your heat plate they have a place top go to that is warm enough.

They are clearly telling you that they are fine. I would not change a thing. Keep doing exactly what you are doing, even if the outside temperature drops. If they need it they know where that heat plate is.

Have you ever been in a crowded room where some people are too warm, some too cool, and some just right? Chicks are the same, some like it warmer or cooler than others. Let them choose where they want to be. You are doing great.
Thank you! I didn’t want to make a preventable mistake!

Back
Top Bottom