Roo's comb turning blue everytime it rains

Best of luck. My guess it's a respiratory issue or a cold issue depending on how cold it is when it rains. I had a roo who's comb tips would turn purple blue in the winter when it got below about 45F. However, he had a huge comb. It started in him at about 2 years old.

My Rusty's comb looks this way today.. and is cool to the touch. Actually, it is half of his comb, the back half. I think he has been eating some of the layer feed.

If I make sure he doesn't get any more layer feed, will his comb return to the beautiful red it was?

Probably not. I don't think the restriction/lack of blood to the comb tips are due to diet per se. If he feels cold, is chilled, or needs blood somewhere else in the body, his comb tips will probably stay blue.

I just saw this in a post about wormer for chickens: "blue comb (non-specific infectious enteritis)." Maybe this is worth checking out?

Quote:
I bet he would be better than the weather man!!!

But he had blue tips today. And it was just hot and muggy, so I guess unless it rains tonight I am out of luck for the big bucks! Darnit!
lol.png

IMG_7009-1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I looked this up, and I may have to buy some rooster booster. The only thing is that I haven't seen any runny poo (like from worms) so I hate to dose him with un-needed meds. But it is certainly good information to have! Thanks!

Quote:
Thank you - that is very kind. I think the pattern I'm seeing is that the blue appears toward the end of the day. In the a.m. his comb is red. I fear this may be an oxygen insufficiency issue that gets worse as the day wears on. He's kind of sleepy too -I''ll catch him with his eyes closed while standing up out in broad daylight - I wasn't sure whether to attribute to a minor molt he's experiencing. This boy - I love him so. 7 years now.

The photo of your roo is wonderful!

JJ

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom