Roo's comb turning blue everytime it rains

tazcat70

I must be crazy!
13 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Kansas
My Coop
My Coop
I have a Welsummer roo and we have had a wet spring and summer. In the last month when it rains his comb turns blue, not the whole comb, the tips. He free ranges in the yard, so he is not stuck in mud all day long. When it does not rain his comb is bright red. I haven't seen any other symptoms. He is the only one who is having this problem.

Thanks!

I am just taking a stab in the dark here. Could it have to do with oxygen? Is he maybe shortening his breath while it's raining so he does not inhale the water. I've had turkeys drown in the rain. I'm sorry I can't help you further. Maybe try giving him some where to hide from the rain and see if it still happens.

What is his age and what have you been feeding him? It can be a sign of pulmonary insufficiency...it might also be tied into the weather ...need more info....

He is about 8 mos old. He is free ranging and he is fed Layena, and whatever treats I give them. It rained yesterday afternoon and his comb turned purple, when I went to check on them later (after it stopped raining) he only had a small spot of blue. The rest was red.

Thanks!

It does sound like a pulmonary issue going on with this bird. Blue comb is a sign of heart failure or insufficient oxygen being processed. When it rains, does it get really humid (difficult to breathe for asthmatics)? That may be why you are seeing it more often with him.

I don't think there is much you can do for this bird, but let him live out his days or cull. Seems to be an internal defect from the sounds of it.

Jody

just remember that roos and young birds of non laying age should have access to a nONlayer feed (layer has too high calcium content) I am not saying this is what has caused the blue comb episode ... sometimes one sees this and then it seems to resolve but often it is a sign that this bird will have pulmonary issues, the cause of which is almost impossible to determine.

This thread peaked my interest because my roo BJ intermittently gets blue comb tips and then they go away and the comb is a beautiful red. Trying to see if I can discern a pattern re: under what conditions it happens (e.g. stress, weather...). He is at least 7 years old and I never noticed this with him until recently. I will keep supporting him every which way and hope that the situation will not worsen. He seems somewhat low energy but is also molting a bit. His breathing appears to be okay.
JJ

Edited to add that he also doesn't crow much anymore - wonder if it's because it takes too much effort.....is your roo crowing regularly?

Last edited:
He acts totally normal. He crows really well, struts around and "takes care of" his girls, comes running when I go outside.

It does get really humid. Almost smothering sometimes before the weather breaks, but once it does it isn't so bad. I will have to see if he gets the blue tips before the rain starts or after it starts falling.

Today it was muggy and hot and no blue, so I don't think it is that.

Could Arthritis cause a blue comb? You know from the pressure dropping or rising?

As long as he isn't contagious and seems to be doing fine he has a home here with the girls. Since I am not breeding Welsummers, then there isn't a problem with genetics, I will just not hatch any of his babies.

Thanks everyone! If I figure out anything else I will add it.

Back
Top Bottom