How to clean rooster comb

Kcottenmyre

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2023
I received a backyard mix of chicks in the spring. Of the 6 I got, 4 were Roos. One of the roosters is a silky cross of some sort, but he has a comb that I can’t quite identify. It has “wrinkles” -think
shar-pei. We had another rooster that pecked at him when he was younger, but we have since removed the attacking roo. I let the comb heal naturally and for the most part it has. I brought him in today to try and “clean the folds/wrinkles and I’m not sure what I can use besides water and qtips. When I pressed on the comb, I could hear air coming from his beak. He didn’t seem too agitated and let me clean.
Any other experience or recommendations?

I received a backyard mix of chicks in the spring. Of the 6 I got, 4 were Roos. One of the roosters is a silky cross of some sort, but he has a comb that I can’t quite identify. It has “wrinkles” -think
shar-pei. We had another rooster that pecked at him when he was younger, but we have since removed the attacking roo. I let the comb heal naturally and for the most part it has. I brought him in today to try and “clean the folds/wrinkles and I’m not sure what I can use besides water and qtips. When I pressed on the comb, I could hear air coming from his beak. He didn’t seem too agitated and let me clean.
Any other experience or recommendations?

Attachments

• 025E2776-7F30-4084-A5B3-EBF01EE58F6D.jpeg
    025E2776-7F30-4084-A5B3-EBF01EE58F6D.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 47EAB0E8-389F-4D07-89A1-5A4EECFF7AC6.jpeg
    47EAB0E8-389F-4D07-89A1-5A4EECFF7AC6.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 20
Do you have a WaterPik? Can you maybe take him in your bathroom and use that on him? I don't think you'd want to get too close just in case the jet hits too hard and it's sensitive, but I can't think of any other way you could really get into some of those nooks and crannies. Does this comb have a name? I'd suggest calling it "Crown of Thorns." It's pretty amazing!

Combs like that can get yucky stuff in the folds, nooks and crannies. Since the material is quite deep in the crevices, you could try putting 1 drop of Peroxide in the crevice to help bubble the material loose, then take a blunt orange stick (cuticle stick) or pimple/blackhead spoon and pull the material out.

He's got a great rooster stare! I love it:)

Combs like that can get yucky stuff in the folds, nooks and crannies. Since the material is quite deep in the crevices, you could try putting 1 drop of Peroxide in the crevice to help bubble the material loose, then take a blunt orange stick (cuticle stick) or pimple/blackhead spoon and pull the material out.

He's got a great rooster stare! I love it:)
Yes that's a better suggestion than mine.

About 8 years ago a friend showed me her rooster, he had a comb similar to that. I had asked how it kept clean. So she showed me.
She uses one of those battery ear wax vacs. It's just strong enough to suck the muck out and the tips are small and soft :) It's also quiet. Might be worth investing in one :)

About 8 years ago a friend showed me her rooster, he had a comb similar to that. I had asked how it kept clean. So she showed me.
She uses one of those battery ear wax vacs. It's just strong enough to suck the muck out and the tips are small and soft :) It's also quiet. Might be worth investing in one :)
☝️ This one is even better than mine! Brilliant idea💡

Yes that's a better suggestion than mine.

Back
Top Bottom