Rooster Comb Shrinking

ThePhoebeFive

My good opinion once lost, is lost forever.
12 Years
Apr 7, 2011
South Carolina
I have a 2 1/2 year old Easter Egger rooster. Possibly the best roo I've ever had. Last year when he molted he lost his entire beard and it never grew back. I thought it was odd, but wasn't too concerned because otherwise he was totally healthy. Well, this year he molted again and his beard grew back, but now his comb is shrunken. Not cut off, frost-bitten, or anything like that, just half the size it used to be (basically looks like a hen's pea-comb instead of a rooster's). It's not paler either. Other than it being shrunken, he's perfectly healthy and happy. Any clues what could be wrong?

I have a 2 1/2 year old Easter Egger rooster. Possibly the best roo I've ever had. Last year when he molted he lost his entire beard and it never grew back. I thought it was odd, but wasn't too concerned because otherwise he was totally healthy. Well, this year he molted again and his beard grew back, but now his comb is shrunken. Not cut off, frost-bitten, or anything like that, just half the size it used to be (basically looks like a hen's pea-comb instead of a rooster's). It's not paler either. Other than it being shrunken, he's perfectly healthy and happy. Any clues what could be wrong?
Well do you have a photo if him last year and a recent one?

Okay, I swear it's gotten slightly larger than it had been. 😅:confused:

What he used to look like:
Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 10.08.13 AM.png

What it looks like as of this AM (I seriously think it was smaller yesterday!):
image.000000 (1).JPG

Okay, I swear it's gotten slightly larger than it had been. 😅:confused:

What he used to look like:
View attachment 3701608
What it looks like as of this AM (I seriously think it was smaller yesterday!):
View attachment 3701605
Huh that is pretty interesting! I've never heard of that happening before. Did you change their feed recently or possibly start giving or take away something from their diet that could have caused that?

Back
Top Bottom