Chicken with pale comb turning brown??

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
I just came home from college and when I fed my flock, I noticed my salmon favorolle hen’s comb was pink but the back of the comb is like a light tan/brown. She’s acting normal, eating, drinking, alert and aware. The only thing is that she hasn’t started laying for the spring yet. Her buddies all have normal healthy red combs and are acting normal. The coop has been cleaned and disinfected recently and they have access to the yard out of the coop. Any ideas for what could be causing this?

I just came home from college and when I fed my flock, I noticed my salmon favorolle hen’s comb was pink but the back of the comb is like a light tan/brown. She’s acting normal, eating, drinking, alert and aware. The only thing is that she hasn’t started laying for the spring yet. Her buddies all have normal healthy red combs and are acting normal. The coop has been cleaned and disinfected recently and they have access to the yard out of the coop. Any ideas for what could be causing this?
Is it frostbite? Hope you can figure it out!

She may be fine, but could you post a picture of her and her comb. Hens in winter may have paler dried up little combs when not laying eggs. I had a few faverolles and they could have combs like that, so her comb may be different than other breeds.

She may be fine, but could you post a picture of her and her comb. Hens in winter may have paler dried up little combs when not laying eggs. I had a few faverolles and they could have combs like that, so her comb may be different than other breeds.
B53D9329-A29A-423C-BC9F-D8576DEB252F.jpeg
13AFD38C-581F-4408-ABB6-529B5682C4FB.jpeg

It just stormed here so her poor beard is soggy but it looks normal when dry

Was it below freezing any nights last month? I’m not positive that is frostbite, but it might be. If it is, she will recover just fine.

Was it below freezing any nights last month? I’m not positive that is frostbite, but it might be. If it is, she will recover just fine.
Over the past month, maybe. I don’t have great memory so it’s totally possible. It’s been in the 30s and 40s (Fahrenheit) the past couple weeks but I don’t remember if it got below freezing at home. I’ve had other birds get frostbite in the past but it was much colder when they got it so I didn’t consider that.

Back
Top Bottom