1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roos double teaming hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mavrik, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    I have two 5.5 month old cockerel's that mate the same hen at the same time. Sometimes double decker, other times one mount while the other pecks at her head. Is this normal behavior and do they grow out of it? One of the hens already got a bad eye injury from this.

2. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    I can't be much help as far as the whole roo behavior goes, but get rid of one of them. They will eventually start fighting with each other.

3. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I have two bantam cockerels that are about the same age as yours. From time to time they will do the same thing. (They don't peck at my hens on the comb or head, though.) My standard girls just throw the little guys off when they've had enough of their nonsense. My two cockerels do not fight. They sparred a good bit when they were chicks, but grew out of it when dominance/order had been established. I would concur that you probably want to keep only one if all of your chickens are standards as you don't need injured or stressed hens. (with our standard gals and banty roos, there hasn't been any issues - thus far)

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Normally adult rooster would suppress such activities in subadults. You have what amounts to teenagers without supervision.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by