Roos in the nest boxes

blessedchickenmama7

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Western NC
Yesterday, I made nice nest boxes. Three of them. I watched for a while, the hens wouldn't go near them, but the roosters did check them out... (I have four 4 roos and 9 hens... I know... not good, but so far no problems.) Anyway, today I go back, and all the hay that I had them is scattered all over the run, the hens are no where near them again. The boxes are empty. Now my hens aren't laying yet, though they should be by now.

Any ideas on how to keep the hay in there for the hens if they ever decide to use them and to keep the roos out?

Nest boxes need about a 4 inch lip keep the hay in.

I like to joke that my bantam Rooster, "Dot", is my best layer. Anytime I catch him in a nest I can be assured that the next time I go check, there will be at least 1 egg. I have gotten up to 8 eggs from him in a single day.
smile.png

He has a fit over a fresh nest of hay. Takes him several minutes to get a nice bowl shape made. He has 13 ladies to keep him busy.

Matt

"Dot" sounds like a charming little man !!!!! How lucky you are to go so many eggs from him in one day, LOL!!!!

My rooster will also check out the nesting boxes and make sure they are good to go for the girls !!!!

Quote:
DITTO My roos do the same thing. They are encouraging the hens to use the nest boxes. This is a good thing with young pullets who are not sure just where they should lay their first egg.

Okay, now I am not so upset with the roos. But they are carrying the hay around in their mouths like dogs... still normal? They seem to be playing in it...

I do have a lip in the front, but it's not quite 4 inches... so I need to make that higher I guess.

Back
Top Bottom