roos not crowing

heather112588

Songster
9 Years
Nov 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I have 3 rir roos. They are now all almost 5 months (around 19 weeks) and they still aren't crowing. I have read so many other post about how they start around 12 weeks but not so much as a peep from mine. I know they are roos bc they have all the signs (legs are tree trunk size, double the size of my females, combs, waddles and one tryed to mate with my female). I've even tried showing them sound clips of crowing, they just turn their heads sideways (i wonder if its bc i spoiled them growing up...they are more gentle than my hens!). I know i probably should be grateful for less racket but ive had raccoon problems recently and would like to be alerted if something were to come near again.

If a coon shows up, I doubt if the noise they would admit would be a typical rooster crowing sound..
D.gif

Perhaps it comes with age, as they mature they may get the urge to start crowing..
smile.png

I have 4- 7 month Buckeye roosters and only one started crowing a couple of weeks ago. I also have a rooster that has never crowed. I do have 6 other roosters who do lots of crowing.

Give it time, they will find their crows. Then when they wake you up at 3:30 in the morning, you'll wish that they didn't crow.

Angie

I have a 12 week old barnevelder roo that's not crowing, also a 5? Month old Barnevelder rooster that's as big as my 7 month old pullets and he doesn't crow... I don't even think he's jumping on them yet. Now the silkies are another story. All crowing, even caught a little 2 month old chick crowing the other day. Boy was that cute...

Back
Top Bottom