Roos or hens

What is she?

And him! What is my midget fuzzy legged rooster?? Rhode island red?

Dark Brahma and Bantam Red Cochin... you lucked out on the Brahma, those are difficult to find in that variety.

Thanks so much! It's fun knowing what I actually have! My feed store was waaay off!

They usually are... *most* employees have little to no knowledge of chicken breeds or chick identification...

Dark Brahma and Bantam Red Cochin... you lucked out on the Brahma, those are difficult to find in that variety.

X2!!

That's cool to know! She just had 8 babies of her own and 7 of my Dominiques. Yall are right, she is an amazing mama hen! Thanks yall!

That's quite the brood! Good luck with them!

And hey, sorry if I came off as harsh earlier. Misinformation tends to get me a bit riled up, and I should have known it was a typical matter of feed store misinformation, not your fault of course.

That's quite the brood! Good luck with them!

And hey, sorry if I came off as harsh earlier. Misinformation tends to get me a bit riled up, and I should have known it was a typical matter of feed store misinformation, not your fault of course.

No worries! I totally understand. I can be the same way when I know Im right. I learned so much from you guys tonight and really appreciate it. And one more thing; is it true I can easily sext Dom's and Brahmas as 2 week olds?

No worries! I totally understand. I can be the same way when I know Im right. I learned so much from you guys tonight and really appreciate it. And one more thing; is it true I can easily sext Dom's and Brahmas as 2 week olds?

Not quite that young, but Barred birds and certain color patterns seen in Brahmas can be sexed as young as 4
weeks. In purebred Barred fowl such as Doms or BRs, cockerels will develop a lot more white than pullets, at a much younger age. Their white bars will be more frequent and wider, and the grey will be lighter than in pullets. As for Brahmas, the Dark ones could be sexed quite early based on color pattern; they are basically just Patridge base with Silver added, and so cockerels will develop black breasts and an overall darker color while females should develop a light silver or brown-tinted breast and clearly patterned feathers. This applies to any breed, not just Brahmas, when the Partridge, Wheaten, or Duckwing patterns are present - in all these colors males will develop a black breast and females a white, salmon, or otherwise light colored breast.

One SLW and one speckled sussex they are suppose to be hens but i wonder, both are 7 weeks old. The SLW is stella and my gitlfriends fav so really hoping for a,hen. The SS is daisy. They dont carry themselves like roos but i will leave that to the experts.
I have a SLW that I suspect is a male too. It looks like yours, but is only 5 weeks old. His comb and wattles started coming in 2 weeks ago and are quite red. The other 2 SLW aren't like that. We will see, but unfortunately we might have to rehome him too.

I am trying to determine if this EE is a Roo or Hen. This one is 11 weeks old and showing pointy feathers which I have heard is a sign of a roo. I'm still fairly new to raising chickens, start of year two to be exact and still very confused on identification. I have 15 rare breed that I got from a hatchery and I am able to determine breed but not sex at this point. Any help in identifying this Easter Egger/Americana would be appreciated!
[/IMG]

I am trying to determine if this EE is a Roo or Hen. This one is 11 weeks old and showing pointy feathers which I have heard is a sign of a roo. I'm still fairly new to raising chickens, start of year two to be exact and still very confused on identification. I have 15 rare breed that I got from a hatchery and I am able to determine breed but not sex at this point. Any help in identifying this Easter Egger/Americana would be appreciated!
[/IMG]

That appears to be a young pullet.

Back
Top Bottom