roos or hens?

pattym01

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
I bought some eggs for a broody hen as I have no roos. they were all blue eggs. 5 of the 6 hatched. All the chicks have 5 toes. I was told they are 1/2 Ameracauna and 1/2 Dorking. They are almost 8 weeks old.

I have no idea how to determine if they are roos or hens - these are my first babies. Any ideas?

Hello I am new to the forum and I am new to chickens until 4 to 5 months ago, and BTW I am totally in LOVE with them. I have a question about a Hen I think I still have, lol She is a Red, a Production Red if I am correct according to research I've done online. Recently she has been increasingly crowing like a rooster she is around 4 or 5 months now, she at 3 months old did some crowing its a funny sounding crow, lol...Anyways I have heard that some hens will crow at times, so I didn't think much about it after I heard that, but now I wonder, here are a few pictures..You really can't see it in the pictures, but her/him taill has a very greenish tint to it. She has always acted like the leader since I brought them home as chicks so she IS the flock leader, just want any input on if she is a SHE or a HE! I am kind of bum that I have the feeling this is a rooster, I so wanted her to be a hen. He or she was named Peggy now I have to come up with a boy name that will stick I am so used to calling her/him Peggy.
Thank you in advance :)
Hi AmySue74! Welcome to BYC! We're happy to have you here! :) I'm sorry to say, but Peggy is most definitely a boy.
hmm.png
The shiny, thin, pointed feathers that it has on its neck, shoulders, and back are rooster feathers - girls don't have them. He's very handsome, though!

EE can be tough to sex, but it looks like two brown pullets and the other three are cockerels - assuming that there two of the black and white birds.

thanks! There are 2 browns (they are the smallest), 1 blk and white, and 2 black/reds. So you think only the light browns are pullets?

I don't see a second black/red, but I think the browns are probably pullets, and the other two in the pictures are probably cockerels.

Very pretty birds!
smile.png

Last edited:
The 2 red/blks - not sure if that is the "official color combo" - but they sure are pretty - oops- handsome!

The one in the background looks like the one you have in your original post, and I think that one's a cockerel - both the comb and the shiny hackle (neck) feathers and the red back feathers look like a boy. The one in the foreground, I can't see its comb, but I'm not sure about gender from the coloring. The red on the shoulders make me think cockerel, but the neck looks a bit pullet-ish. I'd still lean cockerel. Does its comb look like the other black/red one?

comb is close to the same. Can I go by size too? The 3 are just larger than the 2 light brown "hens". I hate to give away a hen by mistake as my 3 original girls are barely laying. "momma" stopped laying since she went broody - when will she start laying again. And my other 2 rarely lay - could it be "sympathy" hormones?
idunno.gif

Cockerels do tend to be a bit bigger than pullets as they grow I think, but sometimes you could probably get a large hen, too. Are you able to get another picture of that last black/red one, and a picture of the comb?

I had a broody hen a couple years ago (now I don't have chickens, just ducks) and I'm sorry but I can't remember when she started laying again. I can tell you that one of my ducks who recently went broody didn't lay until about a week and a half after her ducklings hatched. It probably varies from hen to hen, but not sure what the "norm" is. And I think I have heard that having a broody hen can disrupt the other hens' laying for some reason - it may be some sort of hormones.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom