Roos or pullets, and also breed?? **PICS INCLUDED***

Their mom and one baby (cupcake) look like this:

31407_chickens_002.jpg
She looks exactly like a pic of a GLW (the pic of the week 2 weeks back). Maybe she is just a mutt..who knows. The babies are definitely mutts though.

Quote:
Her very red face looks like DK.
Her body type is too slender for a GLW.
GLW's have rose combs, dark cornish have pea combs.

Another thing is the color of her neck - your hen has a dark neck like my barnie & the dark cornish hens. GLWs have gold lacing on their necks.

Her lacing is more like a barnevelder or dark cornish rather than a GLW, but she's not a barnevelder - barnevelders have tall, straight combs. The following chicken is my barnevelder just to illustrate the lacing. See how the brown is kind of V shaped (like yours has).

chickenseggs007.jpg

Take a close look at the lacing on the feathers of the GLW on the feathersite page. Also at the very top of the page, you'll see a good illustration of a rose comb.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html

Hope this helps - I've heard dark cornish hens make great mothers and are overall a great chicken to have.

Thanks for the info, I think you are probably right about it, the more I have looked at her. She is a good mother to the chicks she has now, isn't the friendliest, and is also very bossy. I think she might be starting to lay again. Her chicks are about 8 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom