Roo's or Pullets?? Blue laced or gold laced. Help. :D

bscorpio73

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
North Carolina
I have three chicks that are 6 weeks old. One I am sure is a roo (one of the wyandottes). I had bought Welsummer and Blue Laced Wyandottes hatching eggs, but they Wyandottes look very dark. Are they blue or gold laced. I do not know the difference. Two of the chicks are Wyandottes and the other one is a Welsummer. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for any input.
big_smile.png

Welsummer pullet or cockerel?

23614_dscf3214.jpg

23614_dscf3213.jpg

23614_dscf3211.jpg

23614_dscf3195.jpg

Wyandotte pullet or cockerel? Blue or gold laced?

23614_dscf3189.jpg

23614_dscf3204.jpg

Wyandotte cockerel, For sure. LOL
23614_dscf3197.jpg

23614_dscf3205.jpg

Thanks again for your input.
smile.png
Hoping I have two pullets.

Your wyandotte are golden laced.
smile.png
I have one in my flock. First one is a pullet.

Annabelle, my Golden Laced Wyandotte 8-9 weeks old. Not the greatest pic of her, she would not stay still.

cookie022.jpg

Last edited:
The welsummer looks like a pullet to me. Your wyandottes look like my golden laced wyandottes--1st one looks pullet, 2nd one roo.

Happy Chooks: I have seen some varieties in the color of blue. Will these particular chicks get lighter, or more greyish blue, or will they stay the darkish color they are? Also, will the red fill out more of the feathers as in some pics I have seen? I have a link below, of what I expected these to look like....

http://nhchicks.blogspot.com/2011/03/blue-laced-red-wyandotte-another-2-for.html

Thanks.

There are varying shades of blue: some light, some darker, some almost look black. I'd say yours are probably going to be a darker blue, but it's hard to say at this young age.

Here is my English Orp girls (when they were younger), you can see how much darker she is than her sister in the 2nd picture. (I personally like the dark blues)
SDC11077.jpg

SDC11078.jpg

Here's the genetics for BBS (of any breed, or crossing breeds)
Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Splash X Black = 100% Blue
Black X Black = 100% Black
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash

So if you breed your Blue laced cockeral to your blue laced pullet, you will get 50% blue laced, 25% black laced and 25% splash laced chicks.​

Back
Top Bottom