Roos or Pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenranchwife, Apr 10, 2007.

1. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I am looking for some help from my chicken friends. Can you guys tell me if these are Roo's or pullets? They are 4 weeks old now. I am noticing some of their combs are turning but not all. These are my Barred Rocks, and the other two are araucana (sp). I have 26 Br's and 26 BO's, 2 ar, and just got a couple of black astrolops just before Easter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Hawk
    [​IMG]

This is Owl
    [​IMG]

They are the only two I have named. Other than the duck. lol

Let me know if these are big enough pics. I can post bigger ones just thought I'd try something smaller. Thanks everyone![​IMG]:fl

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'm pretty positive the BRs are pullets. That breed is usually pretty easy.
    Hawk looks like a pullet but I'm not 100%, and I can't tell with Owl.

3. chickenranchwife

Thanks Carri How do you tell if the BR's are Roo's or hens? How do you actually do it? [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I was thinking...all hens(pullets) They would have larger combs by now if they were roos...at least I would think so. Hope they are all hens...they are BEAUTIFULL!! [​IMG]

5. chickenranchwife

Hope they are all hens...they are BEAUTIFULL

I hope they are all hens too Justusnak, but am not sure. I would take a picture of all of them but I don't think I can get all 26 to stand in a line LOL:lol:[​IMG]

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG]

LOL, If only we could! I could see it now....Line up ladies, for your portraite!! HAHA!!
    [​IMG]

7. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    I think they all look like hens.

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    They look like girls to me!
    Something I've never before noticed about cockerels as I recently watched my little one grow - when he is bending over, pecking the ground, his little butt is distinctly different than the pullets. They have the full, rounded butts like an adult hen, and the little roo has a very "hocky" appearance, sort of like frog's legs. This has been the case since he was a couple of weeks old. Of course, he's an Australorp, and in that breed the roo's combs come out so early that I already knew what he was - but maybe the same technique could be used in other breeds that don't distinguish as early.
    Has anyone else noticed this? I thought I'd heard every old wives' tale that tries to predict the sex of young chickies, but I've never heard of butt shape analysis! [​IMG]

9. chickenranchwife

Thanks Chicabea, I don't know that I want to look at their butts to really figure out who's who or what's what! [​IMG]
    I moved my babies out to the coop today as it has finally warmed up, and hubby helped me build an area for them in my coop. I will be building more nest boxes, roosts, as I will have a total of 78 chickens and I know some of my BO's are roo's, just haven't figured out the BR's yet.

10. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Great names and super photos!
    (Someone has just got to give me lessons on how to do that! [​IMG] )
    OK, now to tell if a cockerel or a hen, hold them on their back in your hand.....
    no, no, wait, dangle a ring on a string over their belly....
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by