Roos using combs as mounting grips?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by khatar, Dec 29, 2011.

1. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
  2. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Well?

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, it can be common. Many of my cockerels do this, but the "gentlemen" roos do not; instead, they grab the feathers behind the hen's comb, on the back of her head.

I didn't view the video. I know combs can bleed A LOT. And chickens will peck at injuries.

4. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    It happens to my leg horns too. Not quite as bad as yours but still blood. i think its because they have such big combs.

5. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:It's not a video, it's actually another thread.

Yeah, my roo does grab feathers on the other hens, just not this one. In fact he gave his sister a bald spot because of this!

One time, before he used the comb as a grip, he used neck feathers on the hen he injured. He accidentally fell off and ended up ripping out some feathers, maybe he found it easier to grab the comb?

6. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I think some usually younger roos get so excited about doing the doo that they grab anything, but older roos will do it also. Some times it just happens so fast its the easiest way they can grab on. I have watched mine and they dont even care how or where they step on the hen.

Whats more funny is times that they accidentally do it backwards the hen looks back at him like you Idiot ........lol

If looks could kill ....

7. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    HAHA, yeah my roo didn't get how to do it at first either. He got beat up A LOT when he was first learning...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by