Roos

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Easter eggers, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Can I have 2 Roos in a flock of 12 hens. My breeds are 1 brahma and 1 wellsummer will they get along?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I have 17 hens and 4 roosters in my laying coop right now. Do they get along....NO. But it doesn't mean yours won't. I have 3 bantam roosters and one Marans rooster. The take over had begun in our yard. The Marans will probably kick the crap out of the D'Uccle soon. I think he is getting tired of being chased around and up the hill.

3. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    If your pen is roomy enough they should get along. Just make sure you have one feeder and one water for each rooster. I'd keep an eye on the roosters because some roosters will fight to the death. I know the brahma won't do that but I'm not sure about the other.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Why would you want two roosters for that small of flock? You are pushing the envelop for harmony in your flock, and your hens are very apt to be over mated, the roos are very apt to fight till bloody or dead.

People do have that small of flock with that many roos, but it generally causes problems. roosters raised together, tend to get along best, but even then not always. Adding two new roos to your flock is going to cause lots of feathers to fly, if not more.

So my original question is why would you want to?

MrsK

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    perhaps I misread this original post, are you raising a flock, and have found out that you have two roos in your flock?

IF so, the chance of the getting along is better, but in no ways guaranteed. And I do think it is too many roos for that many hens. Pick the nicest one and let the other go.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A lot depends on space and temperment. You'll just have to keep an eye on everyone and not get too upset if a roo gets injured. My thought is the Wellie roo will trump the brahma, Keep a close watch on the hens, too, for bare backs or overmating.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How old are the two roos now? Cockerels usually appear to get along until around six months, then the hormones kick in and all hell can break loose.

I have two roos that I raised together in the same brood, a Brahma and a Cochin. They were best buddies until one day they just started beating each other up. And it got worse. And still worse.

By that time, I loved them both, and decided to just keep them separated. They have their own bachelor coop but with poultry screening down the middle.

One is usually in a separate pen while the other gets to free range, and they swap every other day. A week ago, the wind blew open the pen gate, and before I knew what was happening, those two had found each other and were going at it claw and beak. I got to them pretty fast, but not before one was bloodied and torn up pretty good.

You'll be very, very fortunate if your two roos end up getting along. It's entirely possible they will. But keep a very close watch on them. One day they can be best friends, and the next day the hormones can change everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by