roost and nest box

RonnieF

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
new castle Indiana
so everyone just using 2x4s for the roost? also on nesting boxes I have a 6 foot tall wall how high should I go up with the nesting boxes? also size should I go 12x12 or 10x12?

My nest boxes are 12" x12" , or slightly larger. They work for all sizes of hens. The roosts need to be higher than the boxes. Height depends on the types of chickens you have; some can fly better/higher than others. I use saplings as roosts, 2.5" to 4" diameter, unpeeled. Natural choice for the birds. Mary

so everyone just using 2x4s for the roost? In most cases also on nesting boxes I have a 6 foot tall wall how high should I go up with the nesting boxes? I have mine at 2' with no ladder I have Golden Comets no problems also size should I go 12x12 or 10x12? Mine are 1 ft³ (plastic milk crates).I think 10x12 would work especially when I get 2 hens using the same nest box together in my set up..
Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag; Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

POOP BOARDS are the "BEST" addition yet. Handles well over ½ of the poop in my set up keeps ammonia smell in check 3½" below roost excellent for catching eggs laid through the night (roost are in cups for easier removal and cleaning). I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in.

Winter months even easier flex over compost bin DONE!

Easy peasy!.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use 2x4 as a roost. 2x2 or tree branches are much better and the chickens prefer them. My smallest nest boxes are 12" by 12" and I wouldn't go any smaller.

Back
Top Bottom