roost / bar /nest

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by percy, Nov 4, 2009.

1. percy

percy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    i just want to be sure i am doing this right....
    our hens are 2 months old & in the run/coop it looks like they roost on a little stick above the nest, but they also seem to be huddleing in the nests... i don't want them pooping in there right? how do i discourage that?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

To discourage nest sleeping, make sure the roosts are higher than the nest boxes, and then make sure the roosts are wide enough so their feet can lie flat on them, similar to that of the nest box.

Nobody wants poopy eggs. :p

3. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    Here's what I learned about this: If you've got large fowl, they might not be able to get to your roosts that are correctly placed higher than your nest boxes! [​IMG] Only three of my birds roost because that's how many fit on the part of the roost that extends above the nest box. It turns out that the only way they could get to the roost was to jump up on top of the nesting box and then from there, jump up to the roost. The first two or three up settle right down and that's it. They won't move down so the rest can get up so everyone else crams into the nest boxes to sleep. So, on the "to do" list - make new roosts! [​IMG] So, figure out if your birds are fliers first and then decide how high to make your roosts!

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Sounds like you need poop planks under roosts if they are over the nests. When I got my chicks at two days old, I put little roosts in their box at ht of 4" In a week or so, I made some at 8" ht. So mine were getting training from day one.

They do not even use the ladder/walkboards I made inside the coop. They just jump to the 24" roosts, then jump to the 48" ht roosts. Nests are on opposite walls at 24". No problems so far. I have BR BA BC RIR. All do equally well in this regard, but 3 of the RIR stay out latest and most times cannot seem to find a place up on the top roost even tho space is there.

5. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

By adding a droppings/poop board under your roosts, you can add your nest boxes under it, or hang waterer or feeder underneath it. I have my nest boxes on the other side of the coop, with a thin masonite board at an angle above them so that they are unable to roost on top of the boxes. Your problems appears to be using the nest boxes for sleeping...if they are only 2 month old, they won't be laying anytime soon. Close them up, block them off with cardboard tacked in front, etc. Our girls used to huddle on the floor to sleep till they got older. I put "mini-roosts"in the coop - little roosts about 12" high. I just nailed one 2x4 on top of 2 upright 2x4's, then put two small "feet" under the uprights made of 2x4 nailed at a 90* angle to the top...easy! They seemed to use this for a few weeks before they went up to the "big girl" roost. Then open your nesting boxes when the birds are closer to point of lay age...probably not until 18 weeks or so. I put ours up when the oldest of the group were 18 weeks, the midde girls (13 week at the time) did not even investigate the boxes till they were 21 weeks...and laid within 3 days of investigating it! (And then taught our floor-laying EE to use the box the next day!)
    [​IMG]

6. percy

percy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    THanks guys, i just started reading about the wider flatter roosts... i might have to swap out some 1" & 2" dowel roosts i made... & a dropping plank sounds like a good call too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by