Roost bar suggestions

Chold05

Songster
May 24, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi friends!

I have 5 Littles (17 weeks old) and 3 adult hens. My Littles love roosting up high on the ledges, which is a bit of a pain to clean. They probably won’t be able to roost ip there once they’re full grown, I’m assuming.

They still are afraid of the adults and bed time is a little hectic. I have one that patrols the roost. I tried a divider on the roost but she does it to the adults, too. My grumpy old lady. 🤣

Anyway… suggestions on where I could add more roosts for the Littles?

Photo of my set up.

Attachments

• IMG_1978.jpeg
    IMG_1978.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1977.jpeg
    IMG_1977.jpeg
    410 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1953.jpeg
    IMG_1953.jpeg
    530.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 31
How close together are those two roost bars? They're probably too close as they currently sit, judging in relation to the nest boxes in the last photo.

How about going in an L shape, so 1 bar where they're currently at, and another at 90 degrees from that going over the pop door and towards the food canister in the 4th photo?

How close together are those two roost bars? They're probably too close as they currently sit, judging in relation to the nest boxes in the last photo.

How about going in an L shape, so 1 bar where they're currently at, and another at 90 degrees from that going over the pop door and towards the food canister in the 4th photo?
Great idea!! I’ll do just that! Thank you!

I’d estimate they’re around 9 inches apart or so. We had the coop built and they’re nailed together (no screwed) If I can get the nails out, maybe I can separate them a little more!

Great idea!! I’ll do just that! Thank you!

I’d estimate they’re around 9 inches apart or so. We had the coop built and they’re nailed together (no screwed) If I can get the nails out, maybe I can separate them a little more!
Ahh that'd explain why your grumpy lady is playing roost patrol. You'd need the roosts more like 14-16" apart to keep her from being able to peck birds on the other bar. But given the location of the nests I'd opt to remove the bar that's closest to the back wall and then do the L-shape as described above. Way more roost than you need right now but it should help keep the peace.

If the grumpy bird tries to patrol both bars after that, that's where I'd think about putting a divider right around the L "bend" to force her to pick one bar or the other, instead of just walking all the way around.

Back
Top Bottom