Roost behaviour-anyone ever watched them?

Even here in NC, depending on what region you grew up in, you sound different and words may have a different meaning.
Even here in Australia, where there aren't any real dialects, there are regional differences in what things are called. Even differences in intonation can exist between different places.

It's interesting looking into the source of linguistic differences. I'd be interested to know where that "o" sound comes from in the video. It's quite distinctive. I've heard that quite recently on tv or in a movie, I was wondering where it was from, and now I know! Thanks.

Even here in Australia, where there aren't any real dialects, there are regional differences in what things are called. Even differences in intonation can exist between different places.

It's interesting looking into the source of linguistic differences. I'd be interested to know where that "o" sound comes from in the video. It's quite distinctive. I've heard that quite recently on tv or in a movie, I was wondering where it was from, and now I know! Thanks.

LOL Yep, we put the "O" in video :lau

To me there is always "drama" during roosting time. Some peck one another because they don't want to sleep next to each other, some get down, protest, reposition - like you say, it can be quite a show. My rooster has a favorite girl and she MUST be beside him, so he does some shoving/moving to make room for her LOL I have one girl that wants NO ONE beside her (even in winter), she takes a different roost by herself and protests/grumbles mightily if someone gets next to her.

I have pullets that have recently moved into the coop as well, it's been even MORE drama, LOL. I do have a cam in my coop so I can watch some of it - it's better than regular TV:)
Better than TV!!! I just watched 2 Bielefelders, 2 French Black Copper Marans, and 1 Silver lace Wyandotte trying to squeeze into a single nest box. I made them 16 x 16 to accomodate the Bielefelders, but watching all the jostling and climbing over each other was hysterical!:lau

My cousin's buff orpington roo is pretty skittish but really dominant with the flock. Here he is...
4 weeks of age.
IMG_58751.jpg

4 months of age.
IMG_66821_2.jpg

When I got my original 4 girls last fall, they were already familiar with the whole roosting process. Then I got the new girls (two grown hens I added to the flock in march) and the drama began! I added an extra roosting bar and they sorted themselves within a couple weeks. But Lord have mercy when I added the First Ladies (babies from march) a few of weeks ago, all hell broke loose! The Originals were patrolling their side of the run and chasing out the Ladies. Then the two New Girls would try to take the Original girls roosting spots. When the Originals would go back to defend their roosting spots, the First Ladies would try coming back into the big girl area and then the cycle started all over again! Hilarious. I started encouraging the big girls to go to bed a bit earlier for the first week so I could close off their area before the First Ladies came in for bed. The two groups are separated by chicken wire and the First Ladies will pile up and press themselves against the wire to get closer to the big girls. Ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom