Roost design

Yeah, your issue will be poop management. For an area that big the roosts will need to be easily moveable. It doesn't matter if they are supported by a support build from the ground up or if they are hung. The chickens really don't care but they do need to be fairly stable. I'll show how I made mine easily moveable. Drill a hole in the roost and support big enough to drop a big nail in it.

View attachment 2709467

Another thought is to use a 2x6 on edge as your support and cut notches in the top that the 2x2's or whatever you use can set down in them.

As you can see I did not use a board flat side up. That is a debate on here. Different people have different opinions on what works best for roosts. Some will argue that tree branches are best, others want a flat surface. Some are quite happy with a 2x4 on edge. Some feel they need a large flat area so their feathers cover their feet when they roost to keep them warm, the concern is frostbite. When mine roost on a tree branch or 2x4 on edge in cold weather their feet disappear in feathers. The coldest I've seen with my chickens is around -10F, frostbite on the feet has never been an issue. Somebody I trust on here in Alaska says it doesn't become a problem until he gets down to about -20F. Part of that may be the way his coop is built. I don't know where you are located or what winter lows you might see.

In normal conditions I'd be OK with your 2x2's. I suggest sanding the corners, not to round them so their toes can grip better but to get rid of potential splinters. My concern with the 2x2's is the span. How much might they sag with a 10' span and full of chickens? I don't know. Perhaps a way to help with that is to not put your supports at 10' but pull them in 18" or 2' from each end to reduce that span.

One way I'd consider for you would be to build a frame and hinge the back against the wall. Hang the front from the ceiling with chain and have a pulley to raise it up out of your way. Maybe crank it up with a winch. It may get a little complicated but your husband might enjoy the challenge. Or he might have some mean things to say about me for bringing it up.

I don't know how often you will clean under there. Some people seem to have a stronger urge to clean than I do. Still they poop while roosting and the poop will build up under there. I think you need access.
I've read a lot about the debate on how wide the roost should be. There was one article I read on here a while back that I think linked to some type of study but I can't find it again and apparently didn't save it. But it argued strongly for the 2" edge which is when I decided to go that route.

I like your idea on hanging the roost structure from the wall and the ceiling but I know my husband won't 🤣 he's been rolling his eyes a bit but he gets it done for me. We may have to figure that out.

Oh and I saw a picture of your roost in another thread I read. I like it! That's a good way to make it moveable.

2x2s have a tendency to bow and wont hold up over long spans or under the weight of multiple birds. If you choose 2x2s, place a "X" support every 2-3ft max for the length of the roost.

2x4s would be better but Likely to be more costly unless you have places to scrounge. They would allow you to span up to 6ft with less deflection but 4ft would be preferable. 2x3s would also work.
I didn't think about the weight of 10 chickens on each board. We'll have to go with the 2x4s. I just already had the 2x2s from another project so I was hoping to use them!

I
You could attach a grid of roosts suspended from the ceiling.
I have a buddy who decade old coop has those, they are a couple feet from the ceiling.

Another thing to keep in mind, access to the birds at night for exams(that's the best time, IMO).
I didn't think about how to access them at night. I'm not really sure how to fix that problem either. I've got a lot of birds!

None sideways either? Ive seen 2x4s bow crazy amounts with no load on them at all. I like to set the supports 2ft from the ends leaving a 4ft span in the middle when i have had ground roosts.
Nope, but I bought good quality.
Great local lumberman, now gone :(
I didn't want supports in the middle, easier to clean the poop board below.

This is what we made. It seems so huge but I'm sure they'll fill it up quickly as they get bigger. It's 8x8 and 48 linear feet of roosts. The 8 week olds sleep on it at night and the 5 week olds play on it during the day and have been roosting on the 2x4 wall supports at night lol. It's hinged at the back and my husband is still deciding on hanging something from the ceiling to hold it up for cleaning or using a long board to wedge it up from the ground. I love how it gives them nearly the entire coop floor to run around on if needed.
20210617_183724.jpg
20210617_183747.jpg
20210617_183816.jpg
20210616_210046.jpg
20210616_205953.jpg
20210616_210001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom