Roost Diagrams Needed for Large Coop

lovemy6hens

Songster
6 Years
Nov 4, 2013
Central Texas
I can't find any diagrams showing how to build roosts in large coops. I've found many suggestions on roost dimensions and placement, but nothing showing how to actually build a roost. We have 11 standard-size hens in an 8x13 coop and would prefer something that doesn't attach to the walls.

I started out with a basic shed that I'm in the process of upgrading to a coop. When I finish the insulation and plywood I'm going to add a "poop shelf" that will basically be a a table with two long roosts from one side to the other. my building is 10x15. So that would be a way to just attach it to the floor. i've heard a lot of good things about how nice it is to have a shelf to clean

Here's what I did. 30" high by 8' wide, 2X4"s. The roosts are not attached to the walls. They are easily removable for coop cleaning. They sit in notches.

900x900px-LL-c236d30b_55557_img_1365.jpeg

Last edited:
There are my roost's. My coop is 10 x 14 and they are hinged so I can fold them up and the poop board underneath covered in vinyl for easy cleaning. The front edge where the roost rests is a 2 x 6 that can be pulled out so I can scoop off the poop board.

The new coop is inside part of our larger workshop, so two sides are framed with hardware cloth and the other two have windows and plywood covering the exposed studs of the building. The air circulation seems better in the center. Right now, their roost is in the center and consists of two 2x4 boards, each 8 ft long and 12" high. That's as high as most of them seem comfortable jumping down. We had a higher roost with a ladder, but everyone wanted the spot at the top of the ladder. Their current roost is ugly and I know there must be a better way to build something; I just can't find anything with specific directions showing how to build a roost (whether attached or not).

Back
Top Bottom