roost height?

Chickenrunlady

Songster
Mar 28, 2017
Ottawa
Hello, I have 9-week old chicks, 5 of them, one roo and 4 hens. I am wondering how hight the roost should be and how often I should raise it. It's about a foot off the floor of the coop right now. They all use it and it'a 6 feet long. Occasionally I have one or 2 on the floor, thinking they don;t need the heat from the lamp as much as the others.
coop3.jpg

I've raised it since taking this photo.
i would much appreciate some advice, thank you.

You can raise it as high as you want as long as their are lower roosts they can walk on to get to the top. Chickens like to roost high and chickens that are high on the pecking order will get the highest roosts but a chicken low on the pecking order will get a low roost or no roost at all that may be why some of your chickens don't roost as the others may push them off

You can raise it as high as you want as long as their are lower roosts they can walk on to get to the top. Chickens like to roost high and chickens that are high on the pecking order will get the highest roosts but a chicken low on the pecking order will get a low roost or no roost at all that may be why some of your chickens don't roost as the others may push them off
Thank you, no they are all roosting. They have 6 feet length of it
just occasionally one is on the floor. Thank you for your reply, \I'll be adding another today :)

My roost bar is at 3 1/2 feet which is where it will stay in a 5 1/2 ft. Coop. They have a ramp to go up to get on. I showed them how a couple nights in a row and now they go on their own.

My roost bar is at 3 1/2 feet which is where it will stay in a 5 1/2 ft. Coop. They have a ramp to go up to get on. I showed them how a couple nights in a row and now they go on their own.
I like using natural branches, it's pretty and I like the bark, feel like it gives them a good grip to hold on too.

I position roost bars about 2 1/2 feet off the floor to reduce the likelihood of joint and leg stress when the adults jump down. My 8 and 9-week old pullets and cockerels are easily flying up to this height to roost.

Also, you're right about the heat lamp. They no longer need it.

I position roost bars about 2 1/2 feet off the floor to reduce the likelihood of joint and leg stress when the adults jump down. My 8 and 9-week old pullets and cockerels are easily flying up to this height to roost.

Also, you're right about the heat lamp. They no longer need it.
Thank you. There has been some cool night here 5 degrees, so still uncertain if they need it. They seem to enjoy it and were not avoiding it.

Back
Top Bottom