Roost help

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
I want to build a ladder style roost.

What angle should I put the ladder to avoid the chicks on the lower rungs being bombed all night by the upper ones?

How far apart should the rungs be?

My coop goes from a 10 foot ceiling down to just over 6 foot. How high can I safely go?

I will be getting 8 Buff Orpingtons, 7 California whites, 5 RIRS.

You can go all the way to the roof, but I personally have all my roosts low due to a special needs hen and my 10 lb rooster who I don't want hurting his legs when he jumps down.

I say put one at 2 ft, 4 ft, and 6 ft. Space them at least 12 inches apart horizontally and that should do it. They will all fight for the higest roost though. So my guess is that if your roost is 8 feet wide, all will be on one level.

I have several ladder type roosts. I would love it if I could make the rungs level but I don't have the equipment. I use the rubbermaid non slip shelf liner on the rungs to soften the edge of the 2x2s I used. It works pretty well. I have bantams and I think the ladders have 18-24 inches between. Make it so they can hop up AND down easily. They will use it even if it is completely verticle but like was mentioned the steeper it is the more inclined they are to jump down. Try to avoid that as it can cause foot problems.

Back
Top Bottom