Roost in a Chicken Tractor?

Pluto

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
I was hopeing we could leave our three hens in a tractor most of the summer, moved around the yard. We don't have much in the way of preditors, due to our residental location, 6-foot high wood fence, and fenced in dogs on most sides. We were going to use a heavier wire (not chicken wire). But I'm wondering if they need a roost? Our tractor is only about 3 feet high, and DH though it would be silly to put in a roost that is only 6 inches off the ground, but what do you think? It's about 3x10, and we have three EE hens.

n1501425260_30238678_1310726.jpg

I would probably go ahead and put in a roost even if it is not far off the ground. It should be fairly easy to put in and it will give the chickens some variety and way to get off the ground for a while. Just my 2 cents
smile.png

How much head room do you think they need? I could put one 1.5 feet up and give them ~1.5 feet of head room. They wouldn't be able to stretch their necks much, but could sit.

I'd definitely put one in. Not only will the chickens be happier, it will also prevent them from sitting in their own poo all night and getting really gross
tongue.png

A foot and a half is perfectly adequate headroom if space is restricted, and as you say that way they can also use the space under the roost too, so that's the way I'd go in your situation.

Have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom