Roost in a Chicken Tractor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Pluto, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Pluto

Pluto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    I was hopeing we could leave our three hens in a tractor most of the summer, moved around the yard. We don't have much in the way of preditors, due to our residental location, 6-foot high wood fence, and fenced in dogs on most sides. We were going to use a heavier wire (not chicken wire). But I'm wondering if they need a roost? Our tractor is only about 3 feet high, and DH though it would be silly to put in a roost that is only 6 inches off the ground, but what do you think? It's about 3x10, and we have three EE hens.

[​IMG]

2. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    I would probably go ahead and put in a roost even if it is not far off the ground. It should be fairly easy to put in and it will give the chickens some variety and way to get off the ground for a while. Just my 2 cents [​IMG].

3. Pluto

Pluto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    How much head room do you think they need? I could put one 1.5 feet up and give them ~1.5 feet of head room. They wouldn't be able to stretch their necks much, but could sit.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd definitely put one in. Not only will the chickens be happier, it will also prevent them from sitting in their own poo all night and getting really gross [​IMG]

A foot and a half is perfectly adequate headroom if space is restricted, and as you say that way they can also use the space under the roost too, so that's the way I'd go in your situation.

Have fun,

Pat

5. Hello ,
    It would be nice to have one in there for them but there don't have to beone in there if you have an enclosed coop conected to your run , they will just go in coop at night.

Fay

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Roosts in my tractors are 6 inches off the ground. One tractor is a 4x8 with hutch, and highest point is 2 feet tall. Just good to keep them from the floor.

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I think they should have one about 1 foot high.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by