Roost in broody breaker?

OldMcDnld

Chirping
Dec 27, 2015
Southern CA
Is it okay to put a roost in a broody breaker cage?

I had two broodys hatch out 5 chicks together and the better momma kicked the other hen out of the coop and stole all the chicks. This of course is driving the other hen mad as she is trying to get to the chicks. I put her in the broody breaker in hopes that she'll just go back to being her old self.

Last edited:
Mine has a roost. You don't want them sitting down tight to the ground so a roost can work well. Yours is past being broody so it may not help. I had two hens raise kids together last year's you might just let them work it out.

They're 4 days old today and they haven't seemed to be working anything out. The one that got kicked out is just trying to make a new nest where ever she can and goes after the chicks in a not so nice way when she gets the chance
idunno.gif

I had her locked out of the coop with access to the run at first but I want the chicks and momma hen to be able to come out and scratch around without being harassed.

A roost is fine. You want the air to get up under her so a roost works great. You just don't want her to get too comfortable or have anything resembling a nest or bedding.

Considering her situation having hatched chicks and all, how long should I expect to keep her locked up to break her?
That I don't know, I would try a week than let her out. After the chicks are over two weeks they can get away from her if necessary. There still may be some fighting with the other hen, I often have hens that are jealous of a broody and will fight with her, it can take some time to get everyone happy again. I will usually keep them where they can be seen and return them to confinement if it isn't working and try again the next day.

Right now I have the broody breaker in the garage. I figured It would be a quicker process if she couldn't hear the chicks. Due to later integration issues, do you think it would be better to have her out by the coop during the day?

I would leave her there for a bit, if you still have troubles after trying to put her back it would be better if she was in the coop. Sometimes disagreements can be worked out through the wire. But for now she's okay where you have her. I haven't tried what you are doing, sometimes I take chicks away from hens, but I haven't tried getting them not to want chicks, so I'm just guessing as to what might work.

Back
Top Bottom