Roost laying and egg eating

Hi all,
I have four Golden Comets (7+ months old). They are pretty consistent layers, but I have encountered a problem as of late.

They roost on a rafter that is about 7' high. Occasionally, one would lay while on the roost. I would find an egg on the ground in the morning, usually unbroken (to by surprise). I would just pick it up, rinse it off and gather the other few eggs from the nesting boxes later on. Now, laying on the roost is becoming a habit. I'm finding broken eggs, which I thought was just due to them needing more calcium. This morning, I caught one of them red-handed breaking open the egg that was on the ground, trying to eat it. I removed the egg and directed her to her food.

I have read that immature hens will occasionally lay on the roost. The egg eating bothers me, though. I have read about putting golf balls or fake eggs in the nesting boxes, but this isn't happening in the nesting boxes.

I'm a first time chicken owner. (We raised a small flock of Cornish X in the summer for meat, as well.) My experience ends there. Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thank you, in advance!

This morning, I caught one of them red-handed breaking open the egg that was on the ground, trying to eat it.
This was a 'good and hard' shelled egg?

I have read that immature hens will occasionally lay on the roost.
Yeah, but usually soft ones and/or not for very long after they first start laying.
How long have they been laying?

They roost on a rafter that is about 7' high.
Do you have other roosts down lower?
How big is your coop?
Dimensions and some pics showing roosts and nests could help here.

Personally I'd block off those high roosts, for several reasons,
tho not sure if that would solve the roost laying issue, it might help.
They only lay off roosts at night, but use nests during the day?
Think it might just be one bird laying off roost?

Knowing what all and how exactly you are feeding might also offer some clues.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Maple Creek Farms
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1601038360556.png

Back
Top Bottom