Roost length per hen?

TimM

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
How much roost length per hen should I have per average size hen? Thanks!

Tim

Hi Tim.
The general 'rule' is 1' per bird.
However, my girls have wide butts and are very serious about their pecking-order-roost-rituals. I've extended my roost 2x now and am about to do it again. When it's done it will be 24' for 13 birds... but then there is always spring and more chicks...
wink.png

Have you looked into a poop shelf? Takes a tiny bit it time every 2 or 3 days but is so worth it for odor control (and nearly pure poo for the compost pile)

As stated by canesisters, that is a general rule, especially for planning purposes. A lot depends on the flock and the breed, the size of chickens, etc. Currently I have about 27 chickens in the main house. (my run is just under 3000 square feet) My main hen house is 10 X 12. One whole 12 foot side is roosts. about 4 feet up, level, and 4 12 ft long 2X4s. I also have a roosting area that is only about 8 feet long on one of the short sides, but they just use it as a "waiting" area for their favorite nest box. So my whole main roosting area is about 2 ft X 12 ft. about 24 square feet. Now, that doesn't mean they use the whole thing, but it gives them plenty of room. Most of them roost together in a clump at one end, using about 12 square feet. Some still fly up to the rafters and sleep there. I really don't care, as long as they are happy.

Thank your Tim for asking your question. I was wondering the same thing. Thank you for answering as well. I have an additional question. WHen it comes to Nesting boxes, how many nesting boxes should I have per hen?

That is what I needed to know... I am currently planning a coop and run for 256 chickens. A friend is planning to move and cannot take his flock with him, so I kinda needed that information quickly Thank you

Thanks all! And yes, I have a poop table. I am currently in the process of documenting the coop I just built, and if BYC still accepts plans I'll upload them. So far the coop is working out well.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom