Roost perch

ice329

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2009
I am building a coop. What size perch do the chickens like the best. 2x2 or 2x3 or 2x4 or something round... etc? I think I will set up 2 or three differnt hights, gonna get the wood tomarrow... thanks Joey

I use 2 x4 with the wide side down so they have plenty of room to sit on it. I rounded off the edges so they were a bit more comfy to use. That way also by having them sit on the wide part, they can cover their toes with their belly when its cold!

My understanding is that they dont have the same kind of movement in the toes as a sparrow does, so they have some issues with the dowels or the round wood like that. They can use it, but its not as comfy to them as the wide area on the 2x4 would be.

We just went out and cut roosts from old branches, 3 -4 inch diameter times 4 feet., so they can cover their feet with their feathers, cheap , natural, and they love it. I find at least 18 inches apart so the bird on the top can't peck the bird on the next rungs down. We have 5 branches running from about 1 foot off the floor almost to the ceiling!. The trick is to find some that are fairly straight! Good luck!

I started with 2 x 2s, rounded the edges for comfort. But they've grown (I heard they would do that
tongue.png
), so now I'm up to 2 x 4s w/rounded edges. As the other poster said, they don't hold on like most wild birds do, they actually sit down/balance on the perch. So wider is more condusive to sitting, and especially to covering their feet if it the temps are cold.

OK its settled... scratching off the 2x2 from the list and will be going with 2x4 perches instead.. thanks... glad I asked

Me again... OK I set the pearchs today, used 2x4 flat wise. I didnt ask this prior and I should have. They can be moved easily if need be. How about hieght? I set two levels of roost boards the top one kinda small 2 birds can sit on it and the lower level which prob 10 could fit, I only have 7 birds and if the guineas want to hang out then 4 more but knowing them they wont. I set the lower one about 2 feet off the floor and the higher one about 4 foot off the gound. I was gonna put them higher but my birds are only 6 weeks old and the older ones are 13 weeks and the oldest is 7 months, she hangs with the guniea hens in a tree so I hope she will switch to the coop. How about the roost hieght compared to the nesting boxes? I was planning to make the nesting boxes about 2 foot high also... making them the same hight as the lower roost but would that encourage the birds to roost in the nesting boxes? heheh sorry for all the questions but I will reward them with pictures soon (-: Thanks again Joey

Back
Top Bottom