1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roost poop catcher

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eggplucker, Aug 17, 2011.

1. eggplucker

eggplucker Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    I am in the final stages of designing my first coop (8 X 4 for 7 chickens) and have come up with an idea that should help not only in cleaning the poop, but keep the coop cleaner, longer.

I will install two 2X4 roosts across the width of the coop. Beneath each roost I will install a removable tray (easy to slide out from outside the coop through a little access door) 14" wide to catch the poop from the roost. Has anyone heard of this before? is 14" wide enough to catch the poop if it's centered beneath the roost?

My thinking is that, when combined with ample free-range or pen time, these trays should catch a large percentage of the waste and I can simply remove them every day or two and put the droppings in my compost. A much smaller percentage should hit the floor and make total cleaning much less frequent.

Thanks for comments and suggestions.

Eggplucker

2. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    sounds like a great idea, please put pics up so we can see the finished product. [​IMG]

3. steedchristopher

steedchristopher Out Of The Brooder

Yes, please post pictures!
    I just knew I couldn't be the only neurotic OCD person with chickens [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:

4. grammaC

grammaC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    SE Minnesota
    Yes, I read something about that...or maybe I saw it on YouTube...anyway, I think they're called "poop boards", oddly enough [​IMG]

5. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    I ordered my coop from a company in PA. It has something like this in it. The area under the roosts is enclosed with wire and there is a sliding tray in the bottom that I can access from the outside...makes cleaning up a breeze.

6. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    Wish I had put these in mine.

7. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Yes, absolutely. I used old cafeteria trays. I built a simple 2"x2" frame work below the roosts for them to set on. Cover the trays with pine shavings and when poop builds up, simply pick up tray and scrape everything into a tote to take out to the compost pile. Simple and works great. Here is a photo of my set up.
    Erik
    [​IMG]

8. monaname

monaname Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    MA
    These are the roosts that we just finished last week and they're working out great!

I have a plastic kitchen drawer liner that I sprinkle the pine shavings over and I remove that every morning....NO POOP sticks. It's so easy to clean up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  9. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I am in the final stages of designing my first coop (8 X 4 for 7 chickens) and have come up with an idea that should help not only in cleaning the poop, but keep the coop cleaner, longer.

I will install two 2X4 roosts across the width of the coop. Beneath each roost I will install a removable tray (easy to slide out from outside the coop through a little access door) 14" wide to catch the poop from the roost. Has anyone heard of this before? is 14" wide enough to catch the poop if it's centered beneath the roost?

My thinking is that, when combined with ample free-range or pen time, these trays should catch a large percentage of the waste and I can simply remove them every day or two and put the droppings in my compost. A much smaller percentage should hit the floor and make total cleaning much less frequent.

Thanks for comments and suggestions.

Eggplucker

We did the same thing at the begining of the summer.
    we use a christmas wraping paper plastic box cover.
    Works amazing
    Its bit of work, but we empty it every day, and our coop ALWAYS smells of CLEAN HAY!!!!!! [​IMG]

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I went with the dropping board rather the dropping tray - but serves the same purpose [​IMG] With mine I just keep a poop bucket and plastic putty knife behind my coop, scrape any droppings into it once a day, and then dump into my compost once a week or so.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by