Roost questions....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by savingpurple, Aug 2, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I still have my hen that is causing me stress... Quick senario....

Badly injured as a 2 day old chick. Took care of her (Ms Pissy), and she survived. She was then put with the other injured chick I had(purple butt), but in the same box as my other 5 hens, seperated by a screen. As soon as they were healed enough, the screen came out and they were all together. So, basically always raised together.

Never had an issue until a little over a month ago, about the time the Ms Pissy started to lay eggs.

Have tried isolation, seperation, and now have her crated until I can figure out what to do with her. We recently enlarged the outdoor run, and she seems so much more calm out there. So, with a glimmer of hope, tried the night time roosts again, letting her in with the others.

Ms Pissy,and Purple butt are ALWAYS the 1st two on the roost at night, then they follow in order. Well, she went right back to pecking, and shoving the others off the roost, as if to say yuo are not at all allowed up here.

Couple of questions.....

Have added a second roost in hopes the hens might seperate more, and peace can come at night, and I can keep Ms PIssy?

They won't use it. Am adding a ladder to it today to maybe see if then they will?

Do you have different levels to your roosts? Do your chickens all have a level they prefer?

I feel I have adequate space in the coop, for the amount of hens I have.

Could it be not enough roost space for my hens?

I mean if she has more space outside and she has calmed down, then maybe it's something I am not doing right inside? Trying to make it right, but need help once again from the wonderful people on here?

Do your chickens peck each other,and push and shove the others to get them off the roost every night? Or is Ms Pissy just living up to her name?

I do apologize if this is in the wrong area.....it was on behaviour and coop design, so I was confused. Posted it in the managing your flock area also.

Thanks in advance......

2. SimpleSonflower

SimpleSonflower Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Mine always seem to fight for one of the roosts. We have a "temp" coop on our patio right now and the roosts are all the same level. I've read that the highest on the pecking order will probably get the highest roost if you have one. My chickens will push each other off and even sleep on top of each other! [​IMG] but they don't peck at each other. I did read on another post something interesting about protein deficiency and chickens pecking each other. Try searching it under protein? Are you giving your chickens a lot of treats that don't have protein (ie. corn)? Anyway, hope it helps!

3. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    We have the same problem with our dominate chicken. We built a second roost and she still fought the others even when they weren't close to her so right now we have her separated in a sort of Chicken jail. I'm going to keep her there for a few days and hope she lowers on the pecking order and see if that helps. I've heard it does but alot of times life doesn't go the way I expect it.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

a picture of my roost from last year and my 9 roos...now with new chickens, they use the top two tiers...there is an order to it, it seems the same ones are on it every night...

5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    mine will jostel around at night mostly when they got their seating order now they roost int he same order same seats everynight..

its seams a 2nd roost at the same level might help and more goodies as well... but as long as she isnt doing physical damage to the otehrs girls a pecking order must be obtained for a happy harmony in the coop. seams strange but its chickens and it works for them..

good luck with her and just keep her name it seams to fit her... Ms. Pissy

oh and Mystang89 Love your status about... Eggs or leggs ... chickens choice... too funny....

)O(
    Pink

6. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Thanks everyone....

I have the other ladder in, so tonight, or today, I might put a few, meal worms on there to entice some to walk to the other side, and roost???

Bribery might work?? LOL

Will look into the protein idea....They haven't had treats in a long time, due to Ms. Pissy attacking anyone that thought of getting near them...so, they have not had any in a month or so. THey are on layer feed, and that is all they get. Welloyster shells at free will on that and their food too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by