Roost Ramp Question

rides2far

Songster
8 Years
Dec 9, 2014
Bakersfield California
I have a question about the degree or pitch of a ramp for my roosts. My roosts are about 40" high with poop boards under them. I think they are a little high for some of my bigger pullets. Thanks in advance.

Nope. They are installed already.
1f612.png
. When we put them in they looked right, now they are looking a little too high. Darn!

I have a question about the degree or pitch of a ramp for my roosts. My roosts are about 40" high with poop boards under them. I think they are a little high for some of my bigger pullets. Thanks in advance.

Nope. They are installed already.
1f612.png
. When we put them in they looked right, now they are looking a little too high. Darn!

You are looking at the problem from the wrong perspective. You should be more concerned about how far your birds have to jump down off their roosts than about how high off the floor they have to fly or climb to sleep. In my experience chickens will do what chickens do naturally and that is to fly down from the roost instead of using a hen house escalator to get out of bed.
idunno.gif
This often leads to foot and joint problems so why would you fix it so that your birds have to make a crash landing every morning when the rooster wakes them.

This is also another reason that mixed flocks with radically different body types is not the best idea.

Last edited:
Well, I only have 1 light Brahma, & they do have plenty of room for a landing. They are still learning to land/fly, so I can give them a little more time to learn. That's the nice thing about these forums: lots of points of views & ideas. Keep them coming.

I have a question about the degree or pitch of a ramp for my roosts
My roosts are about 40" high with poop boards under them.
  • chicken_obssessed.v2061160168.png

A good rule of thumb in a perfect world:
Make your ramp twice as long as the drop which would give you a 6/12 pitch and an angle of 22.5º.
"A 4x4 block or higher attached to the end of your ramp to make a step up will do a lot to reduce the slope also."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom